School me a little bit

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by leatherpuke, Aug 24, 2009.

1. leatherpuke

leatherpuke New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I cut my teeth on Kansas catfishing this weekend out at milford. I'm from Oregon originally, so catfishing is kind of new to me. I rigged up with a 1/2 ounce slip weight above a swivle and used the strike king blood paste stuff on one of those yellow sponge/tube thingys.

I fished friday, saturday, and sunday from 0300 to about 0800 and did o.k. One channel on friday and two more on sunday, all about 3-5 pounds.

The thing that killed me was the snags. I guess it's really rocky off the shore line because I got snagged on just about every cast.

Anyway, my question is what should I be doing when fishing from shore like that? I tried using a bobber but the wind just kept blowing it into shore and I couldn't cast it very far. I'd like to try using minnows but I don't know the best way to fish them from shore.

Anybody got any suggestions? I'm not trying to catch the new state record........yet. Just trying to find a way to keep the kids interested and catch lots of fish.

thanks

Tight lines,
    Bennett

2. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    You really need to invest in a cast net for Milford. You don't need a high dollar one. Since you are shore fishing I would highly suggest a cheap one. Get you a 4 foot net from Wally World and practice throwing it in the yard. Then when you go to the lake, head strait to a boat ramp. Throw the net right on the ramp and you will catch all the bait you need. They will be baby shad about 1 to 2 inches in length.

When you pick a fishing spot, whatever the shore line looks like, most likely the bottom of the lake is going to look like that. Lots of rocks on shore = lots of rocks on the bottom to get snagged on. Same goes for lots of timber. Find you a good spot in a cove that has dirt banks. That will eliminate a lot of the snags. If I am bank fishing I would want somewhere that is at least 10 foot deep right now. For the most part we havn't see the fish hanging in the shallows yet. You may have to throw out and see how long it takes to get to the bottom to tell how deep it is. Don't end up in a cove fishing in 2 foot of water. There is a time for that, but now isn't it.

Use a Carolina rig on your setup which is what you described that you were using. You want your leader that is tied to the bottom of the swivel to be about 18" long. When I shore fish or anchor fish, I use a minimum of 2 oz weight. This allows me to tight line without the wind blowing my line and moving my bait. When using the baby shad a 3/0 - 6/0 hook is what you want.

Take about 5 of them baby shad you caught with your net and cut the tails off right behind the gut or about where the anal vent is. Throw the tails away. Hook about 5 of them shad through the eyeballs on your hook. Put the hook in one eye and out the other, then put another one on the same way 5 times.

Throw it out and wait for them to bite.

If you are fishing at night, you can fish right on a boat ramp that isn't used much. just be courteous if a boat wants to launch to pull out and move out of the way. Don't fish from a ramp in the state park. School creek has some good catfishing from the bank and the ramp. It drops off to about 17 foot deep about 50 yards strait out from the ramp. That would be a good depth to start at right now.

You can use dip bait, livers and all kids of different stuff. Each does work in the right situation at the right time. But the shad will produce more fish more consistently day in and day out than any other bait.

Good luck and you should plan on coming to the mini gathering at Milford in October. You will get more advice on how to fish than you probably want :smile2:

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I take it you may be a soldier? If so thanks so much for keeping this country safe we truly appreciate it. Welcome to the BOC brother.

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Bennet.

5. leatherpuke

leatherpuke New Member

State:
    Kansas

Yeah, I saw some guys throwing cast nets from shore the other day, I'll have to give that a try. The spot I was fishing had alot of large fish, I'm assuming wipers, surfacing and hitting minnows right at shore.
    I think I was fishing in about 10-15 feet of water judging by how long it took my bait to sink when I casted out. I had numerous strikes but it was hard to get the fish because of the snags.

Thanks for all the tips. And I definately plan on making the mini-gathering.:big_smile:

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bennett Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Thanks for your service. Best of luck catching those catfish.

7. sand rat

sand rat New Member

State:
    kansas
    another way to fish in rocks is to use a 3-way swivel and tie on a line using like 2-8 lb test mono off one of the swivels on a nother tie your hook with about 2ft of line using 50 or 60 lb mono and then tie the whole thing to your line that way when you get snaged in the rocks the weight breaks off and you have your fish. the only problem is you lose your weight every fish but you dont loose the fish as offten. :wink:

8. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Travis.

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Bennett and Travis. Some good advice Travis.

10. countryboy32c

countryboy32c New Member

State:
    Lansing, KS
    You could also tie your weight ( maybe 1\2 to an ounce weight) to the end of you line then a foot or so above that tie your hook then 6 inche above that put on a small bobber. Make sure the bobber is small enough the weight will sink it. It works good for me but kinda awkward to cast till you get used to it.
    Thanx for your service and good luck! Ooh rah:wink: