SCENTS TO ATTRACT HOGS

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by Luke Clayton, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    LUKE CLAYTON HERE. HOW ABOUT ALL OF US CHOOSING THE FAVORITE SCENTS USED TO ATTRACT HOGS? We all have our favorites, so how about choosing your favorite two scents and posting? I've used a wide variety of baits to attract wild porkers an am anxious to learn your favorites!

2. ga2oh

ga2oh New Member

State:
    ohio
    The only one I ever used was sow in heat. It's worked for me when i needed it.

3. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    That would be a sex attractant, and it surely does work for boars but... I'm talking about a food attractant. Truthfully, lots of guys like me pass on the big boars and take the smaller hogs to eat. What about scents to bring hogs in general, within bow range? I have my list but am interested in hearing from others.

4. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Good thread you statted Luke. it has been my dream to hunt wild pigs. Hopefully one day I will be able to do so.

Jaime

5. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jamie, I hope you can spend some time hunting hogs. It's an affordable and EXCITING sport. I grew up near the Red and Sluphur Rivers in NE Tex. and have had the opportunity to hunt them most of my adult life. They are the ultimate bowhunting challenge, in my humble opinion. I take five or ten hogs evry year, mostly with my bows. They really are excellent eating. I used to cover Texas hog hunting for a national hog hunting magazine and, believe me, I've been exposed to many, many ways to hunt them. Take care and, here's hoping you have the opportunity to hunt them. Luke

6. ga2oh

ga2oh New Member

State:
    ohio
    It's been along while since I've been out hawg hunting. the place I hunted in Georgia in a small patch of woods behind a small pig farm. So i rarely used a scent. Unless I went with my stepdad at a swamp he knew about.

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Never hog hunted but imagine cracked corn would work. Cheap and plentiful.

8. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yes, hogs love corn and I bet I could have bought a new truck with the money I've spend over a lifetime of filling corn feeders. But... corn is pretty costly these days, about $18 per 100 pounds and subject to go higher. But, it's the most popular bait for hogs, especially down here in Texas where I live. Pour some water or soured milk on the corn, let it sour, and you do have some highly effective hog bait.

9. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Soured corn is the only thing I have ever heard of using. I have never hog hunted but we got some big ones where I deer hunt and they have been tearing up the woods pretty good. Been thinking about baiting some of them and getting rid of them. Was told by Poison Pits to use soured corn to lure them in.

10. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Funny you should say that ............strangest thing corn soured with a smal amount of diesel fuel. What makes it work...........you got me, but, pulss em' in pretty good in my limited experience. Sow in heat is the only other one I've ever tried. Me actually seem to get abetter response with calls......pig in destress seems to workto get them moving in, they must be fairly social. Wild pigs are new to my state as far as I know, so we are still learning. We (my partners and I) have managed to harvest 4 in our last 7 trips. I haven't taken any myself, I been trying to go the bow & arrow route and haven't had any luck getting them in range.

Richard

11. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Here's a trick for you: Take a piece of chain and attach it between 2 trees, in area of heavy hog sign. Wrap chain with burlap, then wire with tie wire. Soak burlap with burnt motor oil or old restaurant grease... I've done this trick a lot and once the hogs find it, they keep coming back to rub.. luke clayton

12. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I'm with Jaime, I've never been hog hunting but plan on going real soon. I was wondering how we (me and my buddy) were going to lure the oinkers in now I know!!:big_smile: Thanks alot Guys!!! I promise to take some pics of the beast that God is going to let me put in my freezer!!!:crazy::eek:oooh::smile2:

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm fattening out a couple of small ones that were caught using peanut butter as bait. If there's a plant nearby that makes it, you can sometimes get a drum o it that doesn't pass for eating quality for little or nothing.

14. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Just my 2 cents but watermelon,pumpkins and apples will work excellent.

I would also think that Acorn rage stuff may work on hogs too,

15. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have found that corn poured into a mud hole and allowed to sour will
    draw them to it. When it sours and starts to smell the hogs will root it
    like a turning plow.

16. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    The cheapest hog attractant I've ever found is to take 3 or 4 packets of raspberry jello mix (about $.35 each at walmart) and pour in your corn. Stupid pigs will come from everywhere to get that fruity smelling corn. If you want to bring them to a spot and keep them for a while, take some post hole diggers with you and dig a couple of 3' deep holes with the post hole diggers, fill the holes with your fruity corn.... then come back within a day or so. The area will look like a meteorite hit the ground, because the pigs will be working their butts off to dig the corn out of the holes. The main reason to use this method, is because the pigs just can't get all of your bait at once, they have to keep working at it.

Try it, it works..... even in Texas.:smile2:

17. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have never been hog hunting but I would think slop from table scraps would work good. I used to leave buckets at all the neighbors houses and take that to my butchering hogs. They would eat that before the corn and feed.

18. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    Same method I use. With the corn filled holes it ends up grabbing the hogs attention allowing for more of a shot oppurtunity. Also if you take soured corn and mix it with jello after it sours it will work wonders. Also you can take a small piece of old carpet and spray it down with disel out of a hand held spray bottle. You take the carpet and attach it to a tree or a post. Then you spray it lightly with the disel, and it makes a great rubing post for the hogs. This works great for spring and summer time hogs.

19. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i was thinking on our next hunt of taking dog food, I get leftover broke bags for free from a buddy...He is going also

20. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    This chain thing was a common thing before the fence laws and on the farms.It gets rid of the hog lice and ticks.Messy job! I have put many a gallon on such rigs and painted hogs with it.Now for the bad news.It is illegal to use this or the diesel like this.Get caught and you get a trip to Federal court on a pollution charge.Even on private property.I got this from a old mad Hog farmer.Please check this out before doing.It ain't like you are pouring it out on the ground,but God forbid,a drop just might get on the ground.

Wild hogs love Sardines and fish scraps.Put a can of sardines or Jack Mackerel in a jar.Fill it 2/3 rds.with water and put a lid on it.Shake it up well.Punch holes in the lid and sprinkle it where you want the hogs.

Fish meal is now high.A little sprinkled on the ground will call hogs for miles.

Suggestion.Do not get "Sow in Heat" on you,UNLESS you wish to have a Boar hog in love with you.I got this from someone.I heard that a amorous Hog snuck up from behind a fellow,sniffed him and then shoved him with his snout.He climbed a tree.The hog stayed.About dark the farmer came looking for his Boar that had tore out looking for love.Big old pet.It wanted to go home with the hunter.The alleged hunter is not talking.I would have hated to have been this hunter had he killed this big white hog! It sounded like good advice.Now I have not substantiated this as my source has left the state looking for work.