Scent-Lok/Scent Blocker

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by VerotiK, Nov 28, 2005.

1. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    Anybody tried these Activated Carbon suits? Im seriously considering buying a set, but i'd like to hear some feedback before i blow $300. I've seen on ebay where some people are selling Chemical suits that are like military issue BDU's that are supposed to be lined with the same stuff? I wash my clothes in scent free detergent and spray down with scent neutralizer as well, but i still get blown at. I dont know what else to do.

2. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Yes the military has the chemical suits, I believe they are imprenated with the charcoal to kill the smell, to save you some cash try Sportman's Guide. You migh also try boiling some leaves in a pot of water then spray down your clothes too.

Chris

3. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I bought a jacket and pants in the scent blocker brand a couple of years ago at Wally World. They were on clearance for cheap, cheap and paid only 40 bucks for each of them. I figured if the carbon didn't work at least they are waterproof and camo. I personally think you can never get rid off all your scent and really don't think they are worth the money. Has it improved my hunting? I've killed two deer this year with my bow wearing blue jeans and a camo long sleeve shirt. I really believe especially bowhunting your movement is your biggest ememy. When your 16 feet in the air you can catch that leave falling from the corner of your eye and that squirrel running forty yards from your stand. When deer are that far away from your stand they don't have to really look that far up in their field of vision to catch YOUR movement. I know knowbody is really moving all that much in a little stand but I've gotten a lot more deer closer in bow range by really watching my movement. I know a lot of deer hunters plan what stand they will hunt based on wind direction. This way they are downwind of the deer. Now I've only been bowhunting for four years now but 70% of the deer that come within sight of my stand come upwind of my stand. They want to know what ahead of them and use that great nose to see what's ahead. Those carbon suits may help a little but I'm not a believer.

4. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i do not believe in spending all that money so you can be sent free all i do is get up pull out my hunting cloths and go in to the woods i don't spray my self with those dirt sprays or scent elimnators hell i even smoke while i am in the tree stand and i still kill 2-3 deer a yr

5. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    Scent is very important where i hunt evidently. Like i said, i wash my clothes in the scent free soap, i shower with scent free soap, and spray down with the Fresh Earth scent stuff before i leave, and make sure to spray my boots well before i walk into the woods too. I tried some scent wafers this weekend, but didnt see any deer, so i dont know if they worked or not. My stand is 15 feet high on a bench, but the deer usually come from the uphill side, which is usually upwind of me, but sometimes they come from the wrong side and wind me, and it really is getting aggrivating. Btw, i dont smoke or chew, so there isnt any scent coming from that. The only thing i can think of, is i walk about 1/4 mile uphill and do sweat a little if im in a hurry. I started getting there a little early and taking my time walking up so i dont get warm and sweat as much.

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I wouldnt bother, ive taken deer with bow, muzzle, and rifle all out of the same stand. I would ditch all the scent eliminator stuff and just grab some pine needles and store them with my clothes. When I do wash my hunting clothes I use no soap whatsoever and let them air dry. If you have to shower before hunting just use some Ivory soap(unscented). If you have to spray something just use some redfox or coon urine to mask any scent
    My first couple years of hunting I wanted all that stuff but now I do without any of it.

I would worry more about concealment or limiting my movement. Get some dead trees and camo up your stands. Put your stands in a group of trees giving you a place to hide, instead of one isolated tree.

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I got a buddy that is real anal about his sent. He washes his hunting clothes after every use in sent eliminating soap. He also does not put them on until he is parked at his hunting location. Me on the other hand I’ll wear the same outfit 3 days in a row and bow hunt with a nice big fat dip of Copenhagen in my mouth. When it comes to success we are about the same. I think it’s more about confidence, location and movement. If the sent blocker suits give you confidence so be it. :)

8. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    Thought about one but declined, just try and stay clean and get as up in the tree as possible. Although hunting out west on the ground is a differnet story.

9. flathead willy

flathead willy New Member

State:
    Madison, MS
    I use scent killer washing detergent and use a Tinks carbon sack to store all of my hunting clothes and equipment. Also just bought some of those scent lok baseslayers. Only thing I get out of them really though is comfort

10. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    over the years ive used a majority of the scent removal products altho not the carbon suit and dont see how its high cost is justified. after realizing that the amount of times i was 'sniffed out' was about the same rather or not i had used scent removal soaps etc i stopped bothering with the fuss. now i use an easier method.... "if the winds in yer face...hunt another place"

one thing about the carbon tho, we wore them in the military and the suits have a short useable life without proper cleaning. like the water filter on your kitchen sink or carbon air filters, they act like a sponge trapping contaminants however once they become saturated you go from wearing a scent blocking suit to wearing a suit of human stinky.

11. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    got to agree with bear on the stink after awhile. I wore one of the NBC suits in the first gulf war for athe 4 days. When i finally got to take it off. Not only did i stink real bad I also looked like a huge brickette just waiting to be lit. So i guess if you don't mind being turnt black then go right ahead.

12. stoney

stoney New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    i wear scent blocker and it seems to work pretty good,but on the other hand if the wind is blowing right i'll smoke in my stand and sometimes even when the winds not blowing right,hell i figure they smell camp fires alot and smoke coming out of peoples chimneys so whats a little cig smoke going to do .

13. quackkillsduxs

quackkillsduxs New Member

State:
    madison mississippi
    i got the scent blocker 3-d suit i think it works pretty good theyve walked right under me but theyve walked under me without it so i dont no but it is warm

14. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I would give up any scent elimination suit or scent killer sprays if someone could just tell me what would keep my fingers and toes from freezing, when its that cold out scent no longer becomes a factor really thats why animal remains no longer stink. Scent molecules get trapped in the cold air and fall to the ground. I have only got blown twice and each time I had about stepped on them.

15. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    I think your right. The colder it gets, the less scent is a factor. Probably because the colder it is, the less likely your are to sweat. Unfortunatley, here in Arkansas, it was still getting into the 80's during the first week of November. Weather here is funny, btw. Thats the main reason im exploring my options. I have started using those scent wafers in addition to everything else, and haven't gotten blown since.

16. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    i wear one that my wife got me for x-mas a few years ago...i dont think i would spend my own money on one lol.and word to the wise...never i mean never ever fart in your scent lok suite.....the smell only has one place to escape and thats threw the neck colar and thats real close to your nose ;)

17. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Baitfish I tried using the hothands this year but there is something in my chemistry that kills it everytime, If i open it with gloves and let it warm up, and then put it in between 2 layers of gloves they keep hands warm but finger tips still frozen. It was -8 degrees here the 7th last day of season 1. LOL

18. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    spend the money and get some high quality ROCKY Boots and gloves you wont regret it. I have the same problem and my Rocky gear keeps me warm.