Scent Drag

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by billNpam, Oct 10, 2007.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    For years I have used a scent drag/Pads on the boots. The question I have am I doing it right. About 1/2 way to the stand I place scent on my scent drag/boot pads and walk directly to my stand hand them on a tree within my shooting lane and climb into the stand. But I was reading the other day that I should walk a large circle around my stand hoping a buck cuts my path and trails me to the stand. But I am afraid that if do this it would contaiment the area with human scent and sound. Now I am a fantic about smell I do not dress in hunting cloths until I have reached my parking area. I shower in the morning with scent free soap and but on scent free deodroant etc.etc. For another note I arrive my stand about 30-45 Minutes before daylight.

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I will walk a path across my shooting lanes using a stick to hold the drag away from my foot prints. start at one end & stop in the kill zone then start again at the opposite end and repeat. -------> BBD <---------

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    P.S.

IF you use a drag attached to your boot...dont do what I did and forget to take it off when you get to your ground blind. You can shot em when your being run over. I tried, I missed and now theres a very confused buck running around in the pa woods.

4. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Ok, here is how it is supposed to be done. Start your drag where you want the deer to go to. Use the stick method and walk along side the trail so you don't taint it with your scent. If you do it the other way and drag to your spot. The scent is diluted by dew and touching the ground. If you drag to your spot, more times than not the deer will follow the scent trail away from you because the scent gets stronger towards where you started. Try to get to the woods at least 1 hour before any type of sunlight. I hope this helps.

5. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I get into my stand about an hour before sun light. I always tie a string to my boot and drag a sent wick or what ever you want to put sent on. As i walk to my stand i refresh every so often till i get to the stand. Then i place sent wicks in three places all in my shooting areas. I have had several bucks follow my trail and i have had them come on to it where i can see them and then follow it the other way. Hope this helps you. Everyone has there own way to do it. Try as many as you can and then find the one that works best for you. Good luck hunting Shawn

6. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    the idea of circling my stand before i hunt makes me cringe,yikes!its hard enough to fool a deers nose without circling your stand.brian is right here it is a deers natural response to follow a scent from week to strong,when you drag the scent usually gets weeker meaning the deer may hit the trail and follow it backwards to where you started over and over again.another thing hunters dont think about is the fact that if a buck responds to a scent it is usually immediately,and if you drag or distibute scent well before light you may have bucks responding to you before its light and leaving the area,when the trail becomes cold or they realize human scent is mixed with it.

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Good scouting and high rubber boots eliminates the need to try to lure deer in, and eliminates most human odor. When bow hunting, I like to get to the stand at least an hour before first shooting light. Deer can tell how old a scent is and ignore it after awhile.