Scent Control

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by catman george, Dec 6, 2007.

1. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    What kind of scent control do you use when you are deer hunting or predator hunting?

catman

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i just put my stands down wind. i wash my cloths in backing soda, but thats about it. i have hunted the same wood for over 25 years so i know where they come from. i have stands for every wind direction. keeping it simple is the only way to go, IMO.

3. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I'm neurotic about scent control. I use the Scent-A-Way products (laundry soap, body wash/shampoo, deodorant, cover spray, scent wafers, dryer sheets, and garment bag.) My boots stay outside leading up to a hunt. I wash the clothes that I wear to the field then change into the clothes in the bag once I get there. I have scent wafers in my bow and gun cases. I even spray down my climbing stand. The only scent blocking products I haven't used are the ones for my breath, like gum or lip balm. I eat peanut butter sandwiches while hunting. I figure that's good enough. I use a climbing stand which helps with wind direction.

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I watch which way the smoke from my cigarette goes and then I face the opposite way! So far it's worked over 300 times!

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Billie,
    Talk to your Doc about Chantix made by Pfizer. It could help minimize cravings if you decide to quit smoking. I stopped after 35 years 2-3 pack a day Malboro reds. Everyday I stay stopped,(6 months now), I put a $10 bill in a jar in my bedroom. Got $1500 in there now. After a year I plan to by a 20 foot Lund Alaskan to fish from and the $300 a month saved from not smoking will more than make payments on the boat.

Like you, I used to use my Cig smoke to decide where to hunt from. Now, I carry a small sqeeze bottle with wheat flour. Works just as well. A little squirt and I can tell exactly where to hunt from.

Don't mean to nag anyone about smoking,( Yes I do :big_smile: ), I just want to see everyone live to shoot another 300 deer.

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When hunting for large predators...... I just rub a good amount of skipjack all over me. Being sure to get the oils flowing good. Cast out my bait and sit there downwind and wait. Its a blast.

7. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Billie, It's hard to argue with success.

8. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    play the wind and keep clothes as clean as possible with baking soda or scent shield products.i use multple stand sights like tim to always play the wind.

9. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use baking soda and ALWAYS wear high rubber boots to eliminate scent going in and going out. I know I need to quit smoking but that's as hard as it is to start flossing!!! LOL

10. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I use scent killer products on myself, and all equipment. I use Deer Dander from Team Fitzgerald, it works better for me than anything I have ever used. I've had up to 22 deer in a circle around me @ my hot bow spot, and not a one of them was aware I was there (at a height of 13 feet).

11. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    Ratkinson has a point. I have been using Deer Dander since the first year I saw it on the market which was 1998. I have seen this stuff not only cover your sent, but it does draw deer to you. They absolutely love it. I have had deer actually lick the stuff on the tree I'm hunting in several times. I am enclosing a pic of the Buck I shot in the early archery season. He got down wind of a stick I put in the ground to mark my twenty yard mark and I shot him while he was sniffing the stick!!! Give it a try. Wal-Mart about nine bucks if you can find it!! Good luck!!!!!

Attached Files:

12. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use a product called "Forget The Wind" which is bio- degradable. It is concentrated and makes a gallon of diluted product. I spray my clothing, exposed skin, hair, hat inside and out, and hunt down wind for deer and coyotes, sometimes on the ground. I have read of 1 hunter who killed a coyote downwind on the ground at 12' using the product. I do not use scent wafers or anything else, just spray down and go. I have had deer within 15 feet staring at me and then they just walked off. Their tail was still flicking contently and showing no alarm. Of course I was turning blue from holding my breath. The buck never knew what I was.

catman

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Never use any scent control ,I just hunt into the wind and try not to skylight my profile while hunting predators.

14. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I wear rubber boots, line dry my hunting clothes and the wind, ha forget the wind. I swear the wind changes directions about once a minute around here, swirling wind describes it well. The only way to get out of the wind is walk down into a hollar and I dont want to drag anything out of there so I rarely do that. Try to gas up the truck a day or two before you hunt and just use water to wash up with it.