scent blocker

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by illinoiscatfish, Jan 3, 2010.

1. illinoiscatfish

illinoiscatfish New Member

State:
    illinois
    i hear alot of crap about scent blocker and how it works so good but the question is do u really need it or can u just get cheaper camo and spray yourself down and all that good stuff and work just as good??????

2. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good question. I like the scent blocker and wash it in Scent killing Detergent every couple of times of hunting. I also take a shower with scent killing soap before every hunt. I don't see the need to buy the spray.

Could regular camo work just as well if washed and sprayed? I don't know.

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I've never seen the need for it. I didn't even spray my clothes with scent killer this year, and i've killed more deer this year than i have the last 4 years combined. I had a doe walk within 10 yards of me during our shotgun season, and she never seemed startled or anything, just meandered off. Your results may vary. I know people that smoke while hunting, pee out of the stand, etc and they dont have any trouble killing deer either.

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Its all about the wind. As long as you are down wind of your prey you are OK. Deer use their noses more than their eyes or ears to identify danger. I use scent-loc but still keep the wind in mind when I decide which stand I am hunting how I walk there.

5. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'd agree. Wind is important no matter what you wear or what you use to cover your scent. Movement would have to be a big second. I don't like to trim very much in the trees that I put a stand in.

6. Goebel13

Goebel13 New Member

State:
    evansville indiana
    Yes the stuff works period end of question. I use scent blocker and scent lock wash once year and dry it every 20 hours to reactivate it. Once deer season starts all my clothes hunting or regular get washed in scent free soup until the the end of season. People can say they shoot deer with out it but i promise you that there not seeing the older 4 year deer bucks or does because they smell them whey before they get to the stand. I had a 4 year hold buck come out on me last afternoon a 140 class 10 point, dead down wind a west wind right in his face and he cross the road and walked right behind me and my stand i let him WALK he will be a stud next year.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I hunt the wind,I think all those type of products are geared to city types that just cant live without the latest gimics.

8. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use wind and stand location to best effect. Hot doe urin gets put out on scent wicks. I hunt farm land, deer are just used to smellen human scent ect. But then again I dont set up right on deer trails. Yes I have been scent busted a few times mostly by wary old grey nosed treetop staren does. Seen alot of bucks this year wind blowen right in their face walken by the stand in no hurry. Movement control for me is most important. But I will cheat and step in a cow pie or good bottom mudd ect just to keep a scent trail down walken in to the stand. If you are real worred about scent just toss ya hunting cloths in a unscented bag with some cedar or pine branches and set em outside for a few days before hunting. But for me the wind and movement control is the most important factor.

9. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have just one thing to say about scent blockers.. HOGWASH ! Let me tell you about something I saw once. Think about it and then make up your mind.

A hunter was wanting to take a grizzly with a bow ( Fred Bear I think it was ) Any way, they find a dead animal. Horse or mule or something and they drag it way back in the woods and leave it. Now this thing wasn't fresh to start with and it only got more rotten as time wore on.

THis hunter is behind a blind with his bow and a camera man and a man with a BIG gun for back up. A huge grizzly walks up to the mule and starts working on the bloated guts. Very soon the bear has his head out of sight up inside this animal that is green and swollen and crawling with maggots.

He is at the wrong angle for a bow shot and while they wait for him to shift the man with the gun says oh oh, Wind shift.. About that second the bear pulls his head from inside those stinking guts on high alert. He has smelled them..

I have had deer scent me on the wind 300 yards from where I am hunting. No, His nose is nowhere near that of a grizzly or Polar bear but Its a dang sight better than most people would ever dream.

I have worn rubber boots to my stand before and sat there half a day only to see a young doe pick up my track.

Rich said it as did someone else but I'm gonna say it again..If a deer walks into the wind/air current that moves past you, He is GOING to smell your stinking hide !Take a piece of bacon or some hamburger and place it in a zip loc bag. Wash your hands and then wrap this plastic bag in Saran wrap.. Spray it with the so called scent blockers and then throw the thing into a kennel full of dogs and see what happens.

If you want to beat a deers nose, Do it by learning to hunt the air. Find a place where a deer can't walk with his nose into the wind, Get off to the side and wait..

I'd like to see someone try this...

Take a piece of bacon and place it in a zip loc bag. Wash your hands and then wrap this plastic bag in Saran wrap.. Spray it with the so called scent blockers and then throw the thing into a kennel full of dogs and see what happens.

If you do it, let me know how it turns out.

10. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    In the Miami Airport there is a memorial for a black lab drug sniffing dog. At the height of the Cocaine cowboys drug trade in Miamiduring the late 70's, that dog, a male black lab was so good at his job that the narcos put a million dollar bounty on him. One of his tricks was the handlers would put one marijuana joint in a mason jar and bury it in ten feet of sand on the beach. Come back the next day and the dog would find it every time. The bandits never collected the bounty and that old lab retired and lived out his normal lab life.

Like already said. Keep wind direction in your mind while hunting.

11. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia

I agree 100%. If you breath, you are giving off predator scent. There is nothing you can do to cover it up. That scent sticks to everything it touches. The only solution for it is to become a vegetarian. (Indians fasted and avoided eating meat for several days before a hunt.) I have killed A LOT of deer (more than 300) and have never used scent blocker, and I've done a lot of hunting straight from work, smelling like chicken, breading, hydraulic oil, ammonia, and cleaning products, and still killed deer. I pay close attention to the wind, movement, and camo. I don't pick stands for the view; I pick them for the camo they provide. I don't like to educate deer. I try to NEVER let the deer see me in the stand, and never hunt the same stand too many times before moving to a new spot for awhile.