Scent and smell

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by crackers, Jun 10, 2007.

1. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I know that fish has a very good sense of smell because that is most of there way of finding food. I was wondering what effect does your scent from your hands have on the bait that your touch when you put it on your hook. Does smoking have an effect on the way fish bite you bait. I try to wash off the natural oils from my hands before i pickup my bait and bait my hook with it. at least till ive baited a few hooks and got the bait smell all over me too. After gassing up your boat and mixing the oil in your tank, all the things you do before you cast your first line in the water I would think they have a great effect on the way fish strike a hook. all comments and things the rest of you ppl do would be very helpful. thanks

2. UncleD

UncleD New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Loui
    Good questions. I believe the one about getting gas and oil on your hands, that definitely should turn the fish off. Smoking may very well have a similar effect.

3. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I think gas will turn fish off. As far as smoking, I don't think it has any effect. I smoke and often catch plenty of bigger fish on my first few casts, before my hands smell like bait. Another thing to be careful of is sunscreen. My father and I were fishing a few years ago and he put on sunscreen and I did not. I caught fish all day, he never got a bite until I said something about it. He went and washed his hands good and started catching fish. DEET in bugspray also has a negative effect on the bite if you get it on your hands or kine when applying it.
    Chip

4. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I did not thing of that, Bug spray Ill remember that the next time i go fishing and wash my hands good after I spray my self with the stuff. I will wash them any way. and I agree with you, about smoking I used to fish with someone who smoked and I didnt and he caught fish a lot of times when I didnt.

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    good thinkin jerry! keep those hands sent free,or better yet rub stink bait all over them before baiting up. :roll_eyes:

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    when i was a child i would go fishing with my grandpa and uncles they all chewed tobbaco and they would spit on their baits.they cought lots of fish.i smoke and my frinds dont seems like we get the same bites.i here of people soaking their baits in wd40 so i guess smell is not to much of a deterant to the bite.id still keep my hands clean just in case.

7. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Yes, I would try to keep the "human" smell off the bait....Some people use the disposeable latex gloves like the doctors wear....You can buy them at walmart......Also, you might be interested to know that catfish don't "smell" like we do....When we smell a "stink" bait, the catfish don't smell it as a stink bait....Catfish "smell" chemical compounds that make up a certain, what we call, scent.....You might also be interested to know that a 6" channel catfish has over 55,000 "taste buds" from his head to his tail.....Dwight

8. brakeless1

brakeless1 New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ky.
    I alway's just cleaned my hand's with fast orange and have caught fish with no problem's at all.

9. Cat Hunter

Cat Hunter New Member

State:
    texas
    I just try to use the nastiest bait there is that away my sent is covered by the stink of like rotten chicken liver. But I have heard gasoline is a deterent to fish. You cold carry alittle bottle of hand sanitizer with you but your fishing buddies might make fun of you.