SCDNR Catfish Biologist as Guest Speaker

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by WylieCat, Mar 8, 2007.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Be sure to make plans to attend the Carolinas Catfish Club meeting Wednesday March the 14th. It is free and everyone is welcome to attend.

The March meeting will feature SCDNR biologist Scott Lamprecht. Scott has a great deal of knowledge about the catfish population in SC. Scott plans to cover the history of catfish in SC, creel survey data, and the SCDNR plans for the future. This should be a very informative presentation for anyone interested in catching catfish in the Carolinas.

The meeting will be at 7:00pm at Jones Fish Camp just north of Denver, NC on Hwy. 16.

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Dieter is there someway to record the presentation.I would love to hear what Scott has to say.Specifically ask him how he feels the trophy catfishery is doing on Santee in his opinion or if he has creel census or shocking data.Thanks:smile2:

3. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    In his e-mail he mentioned discussion of the creel surveys. Any questions you want asked? I will try to either record it or put a summary online.

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Where is denver and how to get there from I95.

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Dieter,in talking with guides and other biologists they feel Santee is now suffering the same problem they had with the trophy stripers,ie as the big fish were killed the space was filled by many smaller fish.The catfish seeingly are doing the same thing and the "advice" now is to harvest as many of the smaller (20lbs and under) fish as you want and release the those bigger.Im curious to see if Scott agrees with that.:smile2:

6. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    RivercatSC it is a HUMP from I-95.

You will need to get over to I-77 and take it into NC to Charlotte. Near downtown you will see Brookshire Frwy / Hwy 16, take it west for about 29 miles. Jones Fish Camp will be on the left about a mile past the Hwy. 16 / Hwy. 150 intersection.

Jim, I will bring your question up at the meeting.

7. WhiskerSticker40

WhiskerSticker40 New Member

State:
    SC
    Dieter:
    If you don't mind ask him if there is a DNR Reg or Bill proposed currently in the House of Rep limiting the size on Santee. I spoke with Rep. Jay Lucas from Dist. 56 and he states that he thinks DNR has a proposal currently in the House of Rep's Agriculture Comm but he will pass along our thoughts to this committee. It would be a big help for me if we had a Bill Resolution number to provide to all of our local Representatives. Thanks again and I wish I could attend but I have prior engagements (somehow the wifey thinks she should take precidence over this). Go figure! See ya'll on the water!

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Didn't I see a follow-up on this meeting someplace, or did I dream it? Scott is interested in the response, too.

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    never mind, I found it. Thanks