SCDNR Boating Inspections

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by blackwaterkatz, Sep 4, 2009.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    The SCDNR will be at various landings http://www.dnr.sc.gov/news/yr2009/sept7/sept7_inspect.html this Labor Day Weekend, providing courtesy boat safety inspections. Boaters will have an opportunity to correct any deficiencies before going on the water. Locations are listed at the link provided.

Youth hunting opportunites and other news are also listed on the website: www.dnr.sc.gov

2. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Thanks for that useful info Tommy!:wink:
    I think it's a great idea for the DNR to do things like this. Makes it a better state agency when they actually serve the public by education, like these inspections, rather than policing and just writting violation tickets.

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    My Dad taught me to seek out the Coast Guard at the beginning of the year to get inspected and get the "courtesy" sticker.

It helps to discourage those surprise inspections that can be so inconvenent. :wink:

I am fortunate enough than we now have a Coast Guard station darn near right in the neighborhood so I can generally get one before I get near the water and,, meet the Crew under the best of circumstances. :big_smile:

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Just wondering why they would have a coast guard station in land locked WV? DNR, yes. Coast guard, why?

BB in SC

5. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Got them in KY. and TN. also. The river traffic falls under their jurisdiction

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  6. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "Just wondering why they would have a coast guard station in land locked WV? DNR, yes. Coast guard, why?"

I really have no clue. The Ohio R. being a "commercial river" I guess??:confused2:

They have no dock, in fact the station is darn near on the bank of the Gdotte R, miles from the OHIO, where their big boat cannot go. (too shallow that far up most all times of the year.)

Up this way, you are by far more likely to run into the CG than the DNR.

On the rivers, it has been so long since I have encountered the DNR that I can't remember the last time.

Well, that is not exactly true,, back in the early 90's an Ohio DNR fellow came over to the WV side to "survey" us about fishing. What catching, what fishing for, how often,,, Everything but asking for a licence, which was good, neither one of us had one. :smile2:

7. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    The Eighth Coast Guard District, headquartered in New Orleans, covers all or part of 26 states throughout the Gulf Coast and heartland of America. It stretches from the Appalachian Mountains and Chattahoochee River in the east to the Rocky Mountains in the west, and from the U.S.-Mexico border and the Gulf of Mexico to the Canadian border in North Dakota, which includes 1,200 miles of coastline and 10,300 miles of inland navigable waterways.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/dot/district8.htm

8. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Bill, do you have google earth or such like??

Lat 38°24'34.50"N

Lon 82°18'53.73"W

The white roofed building is their's.
    Looks like they had the boat out the day the pic was taken.

9. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Is it possible that because these rivers ya'll mention are used by commercial boats the Gov. monitors them?
    If this is the case it would make sense that the Gov. has to regulate it. You know they like to stick their 'prying' noses into every aspect of our lives as possible!:crazy:

10. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Good info for the comming labor day, may help some not to get a ticket.

Patrick, i sure like that hat you got on, were can you find those bad boys??

11. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Not sure where you could find one, this one is over 30 years old.