Scary night on Lake Wylie

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Tarheel Cat1, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Tarheel Cat1

Tarheel Cat1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    This past Friday(June 2)My husband and I met Dragger and his wife for a night of fishing.I saw lightning but Ace said it was at a distance.But not true.The wind got to blowing bad.The fish were biting and he didn't want to leave.Then the bottom fell out.The water looked like waves in an ocean.We didn't realize the water was bad cause we were in a cove where it was calm.We had to cross that rough water to get to the landing
    where dragger and his wife were waiting.We got the boats docked and the lightning was terrible.I thought once we tied off the boat,we could run to the truck but then the rain was putting it down.We had to stay on boat.We tied up a tarp to keep the rain from blowing in on us.I told Ace and Dragger the first of sign of lightning or a bad cloud I was outta there.I have to admit I was scared but the Lord took care of us.After the storm passed we went back to fishing.We caught 10 channel cats weighing
    2 1/2 lbs.average.

:waaaht: :misdoubt: :too_sad: :ah:

2. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    good to hear ya'll are alright...those storms arn;t nothing to play with

3. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was on the part of the water,where the wind got up real fast, I turned toward the landing and fed my 90 horses all the gas they could drink. the git-r-done was gone.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Dang, ya'll are nuts!!!!!!!! LOL!! :crazy:

I am off the water during lightning. There are many days I have gone in early or not went out because of pending storms. The odds of getting hit are not good, but they go up a LOT when you are on water.

I saw Dragger the next morning still going at it. Glad to hear you caught some fish. Sounds like the rain sparked up a good bite. I ended up catching over 20 fish on Saturday morning, but there were narrow areas where they were biting.

5. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Storms do bring up the fish, but being in a boat when there is lighting near is a no. no!:smile2:

6. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Couple years ago me and my dad along with some friends in another boat where out on Lake Texoma striper fishing. We had been catching nice fish all day but where loooooooonnnnnnngggggg ways away from the ramp. Storm started to blow in looked like it was just going to blow over real quick, listend to the noaa report on the radio said winds of 20 mph and heavy rain. Well they lied about the time we got loaded up and started across the main part of the lake all hell broke lose. We had just got a new 20 foot deep vee skeeter before then we just had a 18 ft bass tracker boy am I glad we had the new boat we had waves comeing over the bow. Water was sitting in the bottom of the boat had both bilge pumps running. Wind was prob 25+, wasn't lighting anywhere close but boy i sure was scared that day. Texoma is a bad lake to be on when a storm rolls in. Now when clouds start to look nasty we load up right then and haul butt to the ramp not worth chanceing it.

7. phillip puryear

phillip puryear New Member

State:
    NC
    We keep a log book about everything when we fish. In 2004 we went to riverside and put in 22 times and it rained 14 times. If we go and it doesnt rain and thunder we almost dont know what to do . We have been in quiet a few severe storms.

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Glad you all are okay Linda. Glad to hear that you got some fish out of the deal also:smile2: .