Scared the UPS man to death. LOL

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Big Dav, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Well after a couple of weeks of self made issues (long story), I finally check UPS.com today and got the welcomed "package out for delivery" that i have been looking forward to. Been twiddling my thumbs all day, looking out the window, pacing the floors, check the BOC, back to the window (no UPS), check UPS.com again (yep, still on truck for delivery), made a post on BOC, and heard a noise. Sounded like Santa int he drive way to me. My four year old daughter even got excited for me.
    I jerked the door open as the UPS driver was about to knock. Spooked him pretty good I guess, he said I did not know what to expect with the door opening that fast.:smile2::crazy: There it was in his hands, a big box (bigger than expected) that was the reason for my anxiety all morning.:big_smile:
    The attached pics will tell the rest of the story.:0a1:

Attached Files:

2. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Just in case you cannot tell I am more than just a little excited. Had to ask the UPS guy to forgive me for scaring him so bad. I would not want him scared to come to my house.:eek:oooh::smile2:
    Lots of little goodies in the box. Also a massive manual that will take some time for me to read. The transducer is much larger than any I have seen and than I expected.:crazy: Can't wait to try this out. More incentive to hurry up and get the boat finished.:big_smile::cool2:
    Got a great deal on the Humminbird 997c SI NVB. Can't wait to use it.:big_smile_2::go:

Thanks
    David

Attached Files:

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    LMAO! Good one Dave! You know if you would have just showed him the boat a long time ago, he probably would have moved your deliveries up to the front of the truck! :smile2: :smile2: :wink: Congrats Bro!

4. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Dave;
    Well your going to be a larger force to be reckoned with this year when it comes to fishing!!
    I'M Very HAPPY :big_smile: for Ya! Now is a good time to get something like that too. This way you will have a couple of weeks to start memorizing that Owners/Engineers Manual!!:smile2: I think just about anything you buy like that has to have a manual at least an inch or more in thickness! :sad2:
    Sometimes I wonder how we got by in the "good old days"????:wink::roll_eyes:
    Well, I better let ya go and get back to your new toy.
    Take Care, Let me know how it works out when you get a chance to do so.
    Tell the wife I said "hi" too. Hopefully she won't have any more of those "Fright Drives" anymore!!
    Again, CONGRATS on the New Toy!!! I really am HAPPY for ya!:big_smile:
    Fraternally and Sincerely,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

5. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    He has seen my boat and the same guy has been delivering my goodies for all of them. He said this package must be something special. I said your bet, and I did not want it sat down on the wet deck. His reply was "I know better" and then he pull the plastic bag out of his pocket that he was going to put it in if I did not answer the door.:smile2: I actually made him jump back a little.:big_smile::crazy::smile2:
    He has been our UPS driver for years and I am just happy I got to make his day memorable. Also gave him something to tell the guys at work. "I was almost malled by a 6'4" 350#+ kid today." :smile2: He left laughing and I closed the door and opened my package like my kids at Christmas.:smile2: My little girl said "Dada do I get a present toooooo?" Had to find her something fast or I would have felt like crap not giving her any excitement for the day. Plus she helped me open the box.:big_smile:

Thanks Coyote,
    She is about as excited as I am about the possibilities with this unit. She loves fishing as much as I do and is always up for new toys when it comes to boats and fishing. Thanks for the reply and kind comment.:big_smile:

Thanks
    David

6. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    awsome ,did ya get the navionics maps pre loaded ? ....i got mine pre loaded and i love em...dont let the big book overwhelm ya like it almost did me ....lol..read it through a few times and when ya get it hooked up and going through the menu's it will be like an ole friend:wink: ... i had the same thoughts on the transducer when i first saw mine ..i was like ....look at that trim tab on that rascal!:smile2:....aint nothin like waiting on a goody package to be deliverd :big_smile:

7. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Sam, thanks for the reply. I did get the unit will all the maps pre loaded.Figured I would be better off in the long run. You are right about the "trim tab" transducer. I may have to modify the other side of the boat so it won't lift more on one side.:smile2::0a31:

Thanks
    David

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Way to go. I know you will enjoy it.
    but you know this is going to stop the fishing . Yes even when your out on the water. Your looking for places to fish. but not fishing.
    Enjoy and may it bring you lots of joy.
    Pete

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations on the new graph, I've heard that one is a dandy :cool2:.

10. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Pete,
    I owe you, Eric and other members a big thanks for all the info you have shared on the BOC about these SI units. I have wanted one for a while but just help off and made excuses why I did not need it. I guess the wife got tired of me talking about it and she decided we should get it.:roll_eyes::big_smile::smile2:

If you guys had not been so willing to answer question, point people in the right direction, and share information about them, I may never have bought one. When I first learned about them i just could not see a locater being worth that kind of money. At least i did wait long enough for you guys to point me in the right direction to save almost $400 off the Bass Pro price. If you add TN tax on that I saved almost $600 off what it would have cost me to pick up the unit at the closest Bass Pro. That is a pretty good discount on the same item they sale. I can't count the times I have been told there is no mark up in boating electronics. :angry::eek:oooh::crazy::roll_eyes::smile2::smile2: I know the place I ordered mine from doesn't sale them unless they could make a few $$$.

Now I just need to find a spot on the console big enough to mount this monster. I bet the new 1197 would be a real challenger to get mounts and still be able to see to drive the boat.:big_smile::smile2::0a22:

Thanks again everyone for all the answers and help.
    David

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Dave for sharing the pics. I can understand your excitement. That is what I would call precious cargo. Congrats.

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Good post! Thanks for sharing!

13. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    dave there ain't much worse than a operator's manual thicker than the school books we were supposed to study:smile2::wink::tounge_out: Nothing like a new toy!!! Pick everyone's brain ya know that has one...I can't help ya or i would mine is a different brand...I can say this when the boat and tackle show is in town with your graph guy there take a pen and note-pad with ya and hold him hostage for a "little" while.:wink::tounge_out:

14. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks everyone for the kind replies. As you all could tell

I was and am just a little excited about the 997 arriving today. I guess anticipation was killing me.
    When I ordered the unit (this Sunday three weeks ago) I screwed up on the payment and put a PO box for shipping. The company plainly stated in there information "NO PO BOXES" (strike #1). Monday morning came with a phone call.:crazy: They had to refund my payment because they would only ship to confirmed PAY PAL addresses and no PO Boxes. Since that was how I paid they refunded the payment via Pay Pal. Well, Pay Pal puts a three-four day hold on funds after a refund like this. They sure did not take that long to remove the money from my bank account.:angry: So the week slowly passed and on Friday my pay pal account had the funds back in place. I transfered the funds back to my bank account (strike #2 while trying to buy this fish finder). Guess what, that took another three four business days. That put my money back in my account almost two weeks to the day it was removed.:angry::eek:oooh::crazy:
    During all this time I had my billing address changed over to my physical address so I could confirm my physical address with pay pal. What a pain in the rear that was but i got it done. Even had to put up a mail box at the bottom of our driveway.:big_smile:
    Now we are on Friday, almost two weeks later and I go to the web site to order my 997. As my luck would have it they were sold out.:crazy: They had 17 units when I first ordered and all were gone (strike #3 on ordering this unit). :too_sad: I almost gave up on ordering it now, since my boat isn't quite ready yet anyways. My wife told me to call them and see what they could do. I called the company and spoke with the manager (David) who had helped me before. He said for me to give him a minute and he would see what he could do. After a few minutes he came back to the phone and he had found me one at the New York warehouse.:feel_good: Well the rest of the story you already know. I guess the almost three weeks waiting on this unit added to the excitement.
    Thanks all for listening and putting up with my child like excitement today. Kind of felt like a kid again and it felt pretty nice.:big_smile:

Thanks
    David

15. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like after the run around ya had over the mistake you deserved to be excited,I am allways waitin anxiously for my order within hrs of orderin .hope that gadgit works out for ya.

16. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Congrats on the new finder. I hear those are an awesome unit. From the looks of that manual you have alot of reading and learning ahead of you. But im sure i will be more than worth it in the end. rspd507

17. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Congrats on the new toy.

18. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Wow sounds like you have been thru hell, hope it works out for you, and let us all know the bells and whistles. Later Andy

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    shoot all i need is a hook string bait,lol. nice one. looks like its got all the bells and whistles.

20. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Son, those suckers are bad A. I was talking to a salt water big game tournament fisherman one day and he had just rigged his boat up wit ha couple . We said 52 miles off the coast out in the gulf they trolled over a bicycle in the middle of the ocean. A frikkin bicycle. He said going under bridges you can see the ripples of sand against the pilings. I want one for my duck boat but since I rarely get in water over 5 feet deep it's not really practical.