Scared of change

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FS Driver, Aug 2, 2007.

1. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    ive been working at the same job for about 16 1/2 years and it has been
    unfullfilling and thankless many days , but it has paid the bills.
    i recently put in a couple applications at 2 differant companies and i got
    called in for an interview tonite after work and it seemed to go well,
    however i think this was the preliminary and i will have another with the main boss IF they select me .
    i was told they are looking at 3 individuals and i was one of them.
    i really hope this pans out , but i'm nervous as a pet coon:smile2:.
    its funny how we can get in a groove and get to feeling comfortable in it.
    even though its a bad groove."that might not make sense".
    i need change but am kind of scared but at the same time excited.
    LOL i think i need a tranquilizer dart:wink:

please wish me luck.

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Daryyl: I spent 6 years getting a degree in a job I worked in for 19 years. I enjoyed it but not the people. It was get out or lose my sanity. My wife and I bought a landscape nursery business. Had not the slightest clue about how to run it. Learned on the fly. Best thing I ever did. It crippled me up but so what. Best of luck to you. If they offer ya the job and you take it never look back, it may be the best thing you ever did.

3. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I had a great paying job that I could've had an even higher paying future in... But like postbeetle said, I couldn't stand the ones I worked for. The crew was another story, but all of us were looked down upon by people with lots of money and no intelligence... I had to get out of that in a hurry, before I lost it. John's post just about says it all. Gave good advice, imo.

-Red

4. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Darryl, he's right. If you get the job, take it and never look back.

You do what you gotta do. There's no sense in sticking with a bad job. Life's too short. Good luck with the interview process, I hope you land a fantastic new career.

5. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    Darryl, it sounds like a great opportunity! I've been putting in a few applications myself, hoping for a change. I hope it works out well for you.

6. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Good Luck DRC with all your future ventures. Hope your 2nd interview goes well.:0a36::0a32::0a22:

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Darryl,
    With all the things you have told me about that go on while you are at work, I am surprized that you haven't done this sooner!!! Go for it buddy and, like the others have said,"DON'T LOOK BACK!!!!"

8. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    Good luck with the new job search. I can definately relate to being in a job you despise but yet getting in a rut and just staying there. I am in the same position as you and just had an interview on Wednesday and it went great. The interviewer told me he was very impressed with my credentals and our interview. He told me he did have two more interviews already scheduled so he had to do those but said it would take a lot to knock me off the top. Job is awesome 7-3:30 Mon -Fri., medical insurance 100%company paid, 16 PAID holidays per year plus 2 weeks of vacation to start, great 401k plan and a raise to boot! Sort of feel confident in one sense but very edgy in another as I WANT THIS JOB! Sure will be glad to hear back from them! Good luck on your change!

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Ya gotta swing the bat to get a hit. This could be what ya need for a mental enema. Nothin but the best to ya.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Darryl,ya dont get wet without jumpin in!! I also worked a job for 16 yrs and one morning I woke up and decided that there was no future there ,I was at the top of the ladder ,hadnt had a raise in 6 years and had been a foreman for over a year ,So I just quit ,I'm makingmaking way less money at the moment ,but I am home every night and have never been happier. Best of luck on your new job.

11. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    All of the above.
    your good people. I hope it works for ya..
    I'm kind of going through same thing myself.

Hope you hit a home run.

12. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Darryl,

A friend of mine (who works harder than just about anyone I know) has a way of putting things when he has to do something he either dreads or finds way outside his "comfort zone" : "One does what one must".

Yeah, it sounds like Yoda, I know...but it does make sense. You'll either do it or you won't. By making the first step in the interview process you're already halfway there, think of it that way.

One of the most uncomfortable things I've ever had to do (it's in my Big 5) was change jobs AND close on a house -- on the same day. A whole lot was up in the air, but I'm sure I'll do stuff like that again.

Best of luck to you.

13. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Darryl, go for it. I had more jobs the first 16 years of my working life, I couldn't list them all. Then found the good job, slowed down and retired at 55, worked 5 more years at another job,and retired again. Work your money right and you can do what you want, while your young enough to really appreciare it. GO GET UM.

14. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Darryl, Go for it. I worked at a job for 17 years waiting until I had my retirement locked in and quit. It was the best move I ever made. Had no idea
    what I was going to do but ended up buying my own equiptment and went into business for myself. Had a great banker and friend and worked for some of the best people around. Worried about making the change at the time but sure glad I did. Change is good as we all get in a rut.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
    Bill

15. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    These things usually work out for the better, so full steam ahead!

16. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Good luck Darryl, I hope you get the job and it sounds like it will be a change for the better.

17. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Darrel;
    Unfortunately, in a way, the days of working for the same company for 20-30 year and retiring with the "Gold Watch" and all is G-O-N-E!
    You DO what is Best for Y-O-U!! The days of unquestionable, and often blind, loyalty are also pretty much GONE!
    Nowadays, as my wife found out a little over a year ago, if you stay with the same company for 5 years it's considered a LONG TIME!!! I was shocked to hear it too but it's true!
    Have FAITH and CONFIDENCE in YOURSELF and Your Abilities. In other words have a "PMA" POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE! That in itself wins more battles than pieces of paper in many cases! So show that "Can Do" attitude and be ready to back it up with experience that way you will not only be able to "Talk the Talk" but you will be able to "Walk the Walk" and THAT will land you your job!
    I'll say a short Prayer and light a candle for you after I post this and go offline.
    Hope it all helps! :)
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post, but not the Prayer and Candle]]]]

18. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    BEST OF LUCK on your new job

19. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Darryl, I wish all the luck in the world on landing that new job!

And I hope you like it as good as I liked my job. I was very fortunate to work for a company for 32 years that everyday I enjoyed going to work. It's great to be doing something you like and be paid for it.

20. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Best of luck Darryl. Know where you're coming from. I worked for 23 years ta get the watch, & been scared of change for 3 years now......The US isn't anything like I expected. Every day brings change. Wish more was for the good. Hope it's good for you.