SCAM

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by billNpam, Sep 17, 2009.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS CAREFULLY, ESPECIALLY AT WAL-MART
    CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS CAREFULLY, ESPECIALLY AT WAL-MART
    It happened to me at Wal-Mart (Super Store on Clinton Highway, Knoxville TN) a month ago. I bought a bunch of stuff, over $150.00, and I glanced at my receipt as the cashier was handing me the bags. I saw a cash-back of $40.00. I told her I didnt request a cash back and to delete it. She said Id have to take the $40.00 because she couldnt delete it. I told her to call a supervisor. Supervisor came and said Id have to take it. I said NO! Taking the $40.00 would be a cash advance against my Discover and I wasnt paying interest on a cash advance!!!!!! If they couldnt delete it then they would have to delete the whole order. So the supervisor had the cashier delete the whole order and re-scan everything! The second time I looked at the electronic pad before I signed and a cash-back of $20.00 popped up. At that point I told the cashier and she deleted it. The total came out right. The cashier agreed that the electronic pad must be defective. Obviously the cashier knew the electronic pad was defective because she NEVER offered me the $40.00 at the beginning. Can you imagine how many people went through before me and at the end of her shift how much money she pocketed?
    This could probably happen at any store where they give you cash back, so be cautious.
    Just to alert everyone. My co worker went to another Wal-Mart in west Knoxville last week. She had her items rung up by the cashier. The cashier hurried her along and didnt give her a receipt. She asked the cashier for a receipt and the cashier was annoyed and gave it to her. My co worker didnt look at her receipt until later that night. The receipt showed that she asked for $20.00 cash back. She did not ask for cash back! My co worker called Wal-Mart who investigated but could not see the cashier pocket the money. My co worker then called her niece who works for the bank and her niece told her this. There is a scam going on. The cashier will ask for cash back and had it to her friend who is the next person in line.
    Please, Please check your receipts right away when using debit cards. The store has the cashier under investigation now. We can only pray that she is caught very soon.

I am adding to this. My husband and I were in Wal-Mart in Pigeon Forge, Saturday and paying with credit card when my husband went to sign the credit card signer he just happened to notice there was a $20.00 cash back added. He told the cashier he did not ask nor want cash back and she said this machine has been messing up and she canceled it. We really didnt think anything of it until we read this email. Please be aware.

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    While I would agree that you should check prior to leaving to verify that you have gotten everything including cashback I would say that this is just another attack on Walmart, could it happen ya it could and its undetermined with snopes. I would be complaining to that walmart to be getting that cashback thing fixed ASAP or closed down.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/cashback.asp

3. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bill, it's not something that only happens at Walmart and it's no scam.

Blame it on Discover. We have a Discover card but I usually use another card. While back I pulled the wrong card from my billfold. I was picking up a few items at Kroger. The clerk asked if I wanted a cash back? Since we get a cash rebate on all credit card purchases I said you better believe it! She said how much... I said well at least $20. LOL
    Then I had to go over to the customer service desk to return the $20 and get credit to the card. I was the one confused for I hadn't been using Discover since they started this procedure. I confused getting cash and getting a cash rebate. My wife knew about this but she usually does the buying and tells the clerk no cash.

Discover pays 1.0% cash rebates on all purchases, our other card pays 1.25%. But they charge a fee for getting cash from the card. For the next three months Discover will be paying 5% cash rebate on groceries and restaurants. They change their special every 3 months. We been using cash rebate credit cards since 1986. Over the years have collected several $1000 in cash rebates and never paid a penny interest.

4. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I wonder if thats ever happened to me. I used to use plastic for everything, and not closely check the receipts and statement balance. I have since stoped using plastic, and decided to go cash only to stay outa trouble and not overspend. I save the interest, so I have more to buy gas and tools with.

This might explain why my balance stayed so high, even paying big monthly payments. Last year I shredded all my old statements so I can't go back and check from that time. It don't surprise me that someone would add cash back, then if the customer doesn't notice they pocket the money.

5. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    I'm guilty of not checking my reciepts:embarassed:..Thanks for sharing.

6. SnagHatr76

SnagHatr76 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the heads up post. It just goes to show you the kind of world we live in today. Its a shame that we cant trust ppl on a regular basis.

7. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    We catch W-Mart all the time in little snaffus. Seems they cant ever manage to get 1/2 of their sale items, or clearance items scanned correctly into their comp system. When you do all your shopping at one place (groceries, hardware, automotive, lawn & garden, electronics, ect.) their little racket often goes unnoticed. Fortunately my wife is like a reciept nazi, busts em out every time, which is way too often to be coincidence in my opinion.

8. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Really you have to watch all things rang up on the scanner system. i call myself making money when Isteadly watch what is rang up idem after idem and having to correct the cashier several times EVERY visit. One time she scanned a package of fruit loops NOT EVEN the name brand right it rang up 23.98 I am like i do not think so. So Of course it was a huge thing when the superviser came over and had to correct the price. Over and over again. People were behind me and were no doubt getting upset but i feel like if they have it priced at a certian amount I get it at that amount. On one trip I managed to shave 47.00 off or a 90.00 bill because of that.
    Remember computers get thier imput from where ? US! and we are human sso please check and double check your recipts. Also I might add be nice to the lady ahead of you that is trying to correct the machines mistakes....:wink:

9. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I was at walmart today bought some items and swiped the card. I pushed no cash back and the next screen asked if 20$ cash back was right. Of course I pushed no and the next screen came up with the total of my items. I alway check those machines as I go through the process of paying with my card. Thats the first its happen to me. I just chalked it up as coincidence. Maybe it was and maybe it wasnt. Guess I'll never know.