Scaling bluegills with a power nozzel

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by Alsey, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Yall probably know this already but I just figured it out. Rather than using a scaling tool on your bream you can use a nozzel with a "jet" setting and shoot the water jet under the scales and it will remove 99% of them. The only ones that might not be blown off are behind the anal fin and the dorsal fin but those are hard to get with a scaling tool anyways. I tried it on a huge perch and it only dislodged a few small patches but it worked perfect on the bluegill and shellcrackers.

2. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Yes this works very well.

3. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Thanks for the tip. I will hve to try that next time. Always looking for an easier way to get the fish in my skillet.

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    theres something Ive never heard of before! wow. I've always filleted my fish unless its destined to go in the smoker.

5. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    thanks jim, ill give that a try

6. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    As I mentioned in my first post I tried it on a perch and it only got a few small patches. I caught about 30 more bluegill and few perch last weekend. On the perch this time the scales came off better than on the bluegill so feel free to try this on perch. The one I tried it on that it didn't work too well was the biggest perch I've ever caught in my life so maybe it doesn't work so well on the huge ones.