Scaling bluegill before putting on hook

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bsites9, Jul 8, 2009.

1. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va
    Did I see someone on here say you're supposed to scale the bluegill? The very few times i've used cut bait, i just put the head on the hook, then use part of the body for another line, but i havn't scaled them first. Should i be?

2. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Never heard of doing it before. Don't think it would hurt anything but I don't think you would gain much either.

If I scale a bream it's either going in the fryer or on the grill.

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Scaling the body of the bluegills help dispense oils and odors into the water. it helps I think but often not needed.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    It is not necessary. The reason some people do this is to get the fish juices flowing out quicker. Some people step on them before casting them out. Its a mater of preference.

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Ken you took the words outa my mouth lol

6. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va
    sounds good guys. i figured it was an either way kinda thing. just wanted to make sure it wasn't a MUST when using cut bait. thanks again.

7. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I'll scale the bigger ones if using for cutbait. But i've learned to always make sure after you hook the gill or any kind of bait with scales to make sure you don't end up with a scale on the tip of your hook. it will keep you from getting a good hookset.

8. Justyn Catfisherman

Justyn Catfisherman New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I have never scaler any kind of bait fish before using them i just use the head. But i am definately going to try to scale them and see if they work like that. Good Luck.

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Justyn.

10. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I don't do it either. However, just FYI the theory I read was that the flathead will sometimes grab a bluegill and swim off aways. Then they'll sit there and scale them. Blowing the scales out of their gills. This gives you alot of time to miss the fish. So the theory was prescale the and the flat should just grab and eat. Not sure where I read it but that's the only time I've heard of anyone scaling their biatfish.

11. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I personally like mine as lively as possible and just put em on the hook.Feel like they,re putting out a lot more vibrations if they,re uninjured.

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Cut bait,,, absolutely

Whole Live bait- trim fins scratch off some scales on one side of the fish.

Whole dead - Smash and hook.

:wink: Thats how I do it

13. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    I agree with scaleing the cut bait it seems to increase my bites:wink:

14. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    i usually scale cut blue gill or perch i think it produces more fish.

15. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    I take some off easier for me to hook em and helps the fish act funny and cats love em

16. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i had an old guy that was my pre boc days tell me exactly what flamkepper sad, however i never do this, unless the dorsal fin stiks up to high obstructing the hook point, as far as scalling them i dont,maby we should do a poll on this lol

17. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ive heard of older guys swearing by doing this. They all claim it lets the oils out better to draw the fish in BUT ive never seen a huge difference from doing it to not doing it....But i do it just because it cant hurt anything it could only MAYBE help....:eek:oooh:

18. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You can do that if your gonna use skin strips.. otherwise it wouldnt matter.:wink: