Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
It works good for flatheads in early spring and late fall, when the water is alittle on the cold side.
What about this Tan:

Friday night the 30th, only live sunnies were getting the bite. Than Friday night the 7th, only taking cut baits. Do you ever see this drastic of a change in feeding habits a week apart? Ya think the rain in between had something to do with it? Yes, that must be it, the rain staining the water must of had an effect on the type of bait, scent more effective in those conditions. Thoughts??:secret:

30 th water temp: 60*
7 th water temp : 66*

· Registered
309 Posts
I ussualy knock some scales off one side, I think it helps. It's not very often that I reel in a dead gill on my hooks.
In the Midwest we ussually get a cool front after a rain, slows catfishing way down. My opinion anyway.

· Banned
10,335 Posts
What about this Tan:

Friday night the 30th, only live sunnies were getting the bite. Than Friday night the 7th, only taking cut baits. Do you ever see this drastic of a change in feeding habits a week apart? Ya think the rain in between had something to do with it? Yes, that must be it, the rain staining the water must of had an effect on the type of bait, scent more effective in those conditions. Thoughts??:secret:

30 th water temp: 60*
7 th water temp : 66*
That all you need to know! Colder water temps, the more lethargic they are and don't wanna exert energy chasing or swimming after the bait.

· Registered
1,227 Posts
I do, it seems to help. What I've been doing the last couple of years is killing two birds with one stone, I peel off the scales where I intend to hook the fish so I don't have to worry about a scale on the point of my hook.

I also like to trim the tail on the larger ones so they stay where I want them to and still give off the classic 'distress signal' to the predators.

About the only time I don't is when the water is really warm and the dissolved oxygen is really low but as long as there is good current that is usually not a problem either

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.