Scales? - good accurate, preferably mechanical scales

Discussion in 'Fishing Weighing Scales' started by CBH, May 22, 2009.

1. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    No....not catfish scales! I'm interested in the scales that you guys use. I'm thinking of getting a set of Chatillon scales, but I'd like to hear some other suggestions and prices of good accurate, preferably mechanical scales.

2. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    I BOUGHT A FISH NET WITH A SCALE BUILT IN IT.
    NET THE FISH AND HOLD NET BY THE HANDLE AND READ THE WEIGHT.
    I THINK IT WAS AROUND $80.00, ALSO WILL HOLD A GOOD SIZE FISH.

MOOSE

3. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I'd like to get me one of the lip grip things with the built in scales.... I haven't had the greatest of luck with nets and catfish, they're always getting their spines all caught up in the net

4. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    i got one and there nice to use for takeing pic with the fish while still being good to the fish they have steel baerings in them so that way the fish can flop all around and your arm is perfecly still. they r nice , i got mine at gander. m. and they r pricey,to tell ya the truth with all the pro s and cons ,and plus saveing my hands from geting ate up,i would say yep im glad i got them( r they worth the price?, all i can say there is, IN THE LONG RUN they will be ):wink:

5. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    oh and a nother con about them they are sring loaded,they will sooner or later get wore out and not be as true, i allways carry the big d scales , hope all my bla,bla , bla helps u in some way brother:big_smile:

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Just got a Rapala Lock& Weigh.It,s nice for holding the fish.I,ve tested it with olympic weight plates and it,s right on the money.Bit pricey,but I got it on a store closing clearance.Had a digital scale before,it was dead on too.I,m just old school , I don,t trust electronics.I,m lucky if I can get this computer to go a week without freezing up,and it cost 10 times more than the scale.I,m gonna stick mechanical too.They got some nice looking ones in the catfish connection catalog(yeah I still shop through catalog too).:crazy:

7. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Thanks for the info Pat. I've been considering picking one of those scales up. I've seen 'em for under 30 bucks plus an extra 10 to ship 'em for the 75 lb model. Sounds like a good deal if they're that accurate.

8. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    any one use the berk tec 100 digital
    has two hand grip and two side display
    90 bucks on the connection
    i saw the 35 and its nice

9. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I had the cheap 50lb $20 Berkley digital scales from Walmart for 3 days before they broke. I hooked the scale through the hook hole and lifted a big flathead, my best, and he hit 52.8 before the chain and hook broke off inside the scale body. My buddy had a cheap 50lb Walmart dial scale and the fish bottomed it out to, but at least it didn't break. I am going to get a good digital 100lb scale next time I order anything. The chart I found on a post using length and girth to estimate weight put the flathead at about 60lbs. I released him rather than try to get to a better scales.

10. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I use BogaGrip 15# for bass. The BogaGrip 30# for channels. Their biggest is 60#. It is an excellent product, but not enough capacity for the really big fish. I too am interested in a mechanical large capacity scale.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with this post. The Berkley Tec 100 is a great scale and even comes with a case. Its the best scale I have ever owned. Easy to read from either side.