Scales for fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing Weighing Scales' started by jerry9497, Mar 12, 2008.

1. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I was wondering what the avg person uses to weigh there cats. I have a spring type and if I shake it just right I can catch a pretty big fish:wink: I have seen the grippers mentioned in the other post but they are pretty expencive and a bit overkill. I useally dont hook the cat with scales, I leave him in the net and hook scales to the hoop. the whole net hoop and all weighs maybe a pound. hardly affects my scale by itself. but I want a scale that can weigh say up to 100 lbs and be fairly accurate.

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Jerry,

Some electronic scales have a tare function, where you can cancel out the weight of the net, then get a base weight on the nets contents.

Coffee Marketing has a scale advertised on the BOC that will weigh up to 220 pounds, and has this function.

I have seen them around at different prices, but $50-$70 should be a safe ball-park figure.

All reports on them have been great, with the only unfavorable feedback being battery consumption.

3. Southerncats

Southerncats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I use the Coffee 220 scales......they work great....the best I've used so far.

4. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Jerry, I also use a Coffee Marketing scale and it gets the job done. But, you need to keep it out of the weather until you are ready to use it. It is like any other digital scale, they don't like moisture.

5. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I use the 220lb scales from Coffey also, I have found them to be very accurate.

6. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    Fair enough, thanks guys I ordered it today.hope to need a bigger one:smile2:

7. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I ordered one of the 110 scales, are they just as good?

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    110s are a good scale also.to me there more for fish with the 220 being more for deer.ive got the 220 and its been good to go on one battery for over a year now.

9. catfeveriowa

catfeveriowa New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs Iowa
    I also have and like the 110 lb. Coffey scale. I keep it and my camera in a pistol case with foam until needed.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Capt Hugh had a neat scale that he uses on the James but I forgot the manufacturer.Perhaps he will have mercy on us and see this post.:big_smile::crazy:

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've had mine (Coffey 220lb) for 2 years now, and also have had no problems. I changed the battery preemptively last spring, and will repeat it again this spring, but it's never come up dead like another scale I have tends to do.

12. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I ordered the coffey marketing 110 scale today. Can't wait to get it. In the past I've weighed fish on a meat scale..lol :big_smile:

13. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The scale I have only goes to 100 pounds

14. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I got my coffey marketing scale today. I went on ebay and bought it that way. Was way, way cheaper and was brand new in the packaging. I spent with shipping and handling 47 bucks for the 220lb model.

15. riv56

riv56 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I got the little digital that only weighs up to 50 lbs. that big enough for the one that I catch.

16. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    My wife got me the Berkley digital scale that goes up to 50#'s. Been very happy with it so far.

I see they also have a model that goes up to 65# and that one uses standard AA battery's. Instead of the coin type mine has. However so far its worked hard and well with no problems and hasn't needed new battery's yet.

17. southernfire97

southernfire97 New Member

State:
    mississippi
    I use a boga grip. there extremely expensive but if you send it to I.G.F.A they will check its accuracy and anything you catch and weigh on it is eligible for the record book. that is if it weighs enough.

18. richmondherperman

richmondherperman New Member

State:
    va
    I would get 1 of the shimono scales they run $20.

19. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The coffee scale sounds like it works pretty well, I may have to make a new investment

20. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I run the berkely 50lb scale... I have never got anything over 40lbs so it works great for MY needs, but I have a feeling a 60lber is on its way to my net...

Time to start looking at an upgrade