Scale Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Fishing Weighing Scales' started by JPritch, Dec 17, 2008.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I currently use the silver 110 lb "Coffee/Us Digital" scale.

It's served me well for nearly two years, but I'm beginning to doubt its accuracy. I can never get the same weight with it, no matter using the instant or normal method. I know the fish move around some, but we're talking 3-4 lbs difference between highest and lowest readings on a 40 lb fish.

Another thing I noticed recently is that the first reading is high, then if I tare and weigh the fish again, the weight will be lower, and if I repeat, the weight will read even lower again. If I turn it off, then re-weigh, it starts back on the high side.

Was wondering if there are better alternatives out there. I see Berkley has a 100 lb digital scale, but it's pretty expensive. Any reviews or recommendations would be great.

Thanks.

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Joshua,

The Berkley is nice, Catfish Connection has it for $69.95.

Salter makes a very nice, well built 100lb digital, the ElectroSamson. Cabelas sells it for $100. My only gripe with the Salter is the small display, but that's only an issue if you are trying to get a picture of the weight.

There is one on Ebay, search for 110lb digital scale and you will find it, probably under 20 bucks. It's a decent scale, but a little on the small side for lifting a big fish, and it auto shuts off after 30 seconds, which can be annoying at times.

It's never been easy for me to get a precise weight on a bigger fish on any scale I've had, a 54lb fish will bounce between 52 and 56lbs on any of these until they lock in a weight, but at least they are consistent. I can put it down and pick it back up and it will lock in within a pound of the first weight.

I've had all of these scales, along with the Coffee 220lb (still going strong) and the Berkley is my favorite of the bunch.