Scale Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Fishing Weighing Scales' started by JPritch, Dec 17, 2008.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

Lynchburg, VA
    I currently use the silver 110 lb "Coffee/Us Digital" scale.

It's served me well for nearly two years, but I'm beginning to doubt its accuracy. I can never get the same weight with it, no matter using the instant or normal method. I know the fish move around some, but we're talking 3-4 lbs difference between highest and lowest readings on a 40 lb fish.

Another thing I noticed recently is that the first reading is high, then if I tare and weigh the fish again, the weight will be lower, and if I repeat, the weight will read even lower again. If I turn it off, then re-weigh, it starts back on the high side.

Was wondering if there are better alternatives out there. I see Berkley has a 100 lb digital scale, but it's pretty expensive. Any reviews or recommendations would be great.

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

O.P., KS

The Berkley is nice, Catfish Connection has it for $69.95.

Salter makes a very nice, well built 100lb digital, the ElectroSamson. Cabelas sells it for $100. My only gripe with the Salter is the small display, but that's only an issue if you are trying to get a picture of the weight.

There is one on Ebay, search for 110lb digital scale and you will find it, probably under 20 bucks. It's a decent scale, but a little on the small side for lifting a big fish, and it auto shuts off after 30 seconds, which can be annoying at times.

It's never been easy for me to get a precise weight on a bigger fish on any scale I've had, a 54lb fish will bounce between 52 and 56lbs on any of these until they lock in a weight, but at least they are consistent. I can put it down and pick it back up and it will lock in within a pound of the first weight.

I've had all of these scales, along with the Coffee 220lb (still going strong) and the Berkley is my favorite of the bunch.