Scale check

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by canebreaker, Jan 14, 2010.

1. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Thread was deleted:
    It showed the weight of a .177, .22 pellet and BB.
    I think the BB is 5.4 gr.
    Does anyone have the rest?

2. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I check them with the bullets I am loading. I found different pellets weigh differently all with the same shape, I think the skirts are different. You can also make your own check weights by using several different bullets of known weight. My set is a 45gr 22, a 110gr 25 caliber, a 165gr 30 cal, a 200gr 45 cal and a 450 gr 45 caliber bullet. I write the weights on with an etching pencil and color it with a Sharpie.

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Eventually I want to get a digital powder scale. Reason is, with a mechanical scale, it is possible for something on your loading bench may have a slight static charge, and can mess with the accuracy of your scale. I haven't had any problems with this, but it is mentioned in a Lee manual that I have, and it makes sense. I have a Lymann scale, and the pan is nylon. They suggest that you keep exactly the same things on your table when you work. A digital scale will eliminate this problem.

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    For target handgun loads, I use air pellets....177 is 7.9 gr, and 22 is 14.3 gr. Keep the match pellets just for the scale zero.

I also made a scale base from a piece of flat alum. plate with two corners and one center end drilled and tapped with acorn nuts on the bottom of the bolts. I use a center bubble level to check it. It keeps the scale level, even if the bench is a lil out, or the surface of your bench is a lil out. Picture a tripod adjustable flat plate.....it works.
    :bye:

5. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    If you check different MFG's make the pellets to different weights. All pellets posted are flat front skirted design in .177 diameter.
    RWS - 8.3 grains
    RWS Super - 9.3 grains
    RWS Diablo - 7.0 grains
    RWS Hobby - 6.9 grains
    RWS Meisterkugeln - 8.3 grains
    RWS Match - 8.2 grains
    Gamo - 7.3 grains
    Crosman - 7.1 -7.8 (Not sure why 2 different weights for same part #)
    Crosman Premier - 7.9 grains
    Daisy - 6.9 - 7.3 (Again not sure why 2 different weights)
    Eun Jin - 15.2 (These are almost solid skirts with only a small cone recession)

The Daisy and Crosman show 2 weights for the same part number pellets, thus may be due to the fact that they are also the cheapest in the list.
    From a low of 6.9 up to 9.3 for a total range of 2.4 grains is a large difference and could cause serious damage to your firearm if you are using the standard and your throw a charge a few grains off.

The best thing is to be careful and safe!!