SC season

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by CarolinaCatJack, Dec 29, 2008.

1. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    The deer season here in SC is almost over with. We're just a couple days away from the end of it. Anybody shoot anything worth a crap this year? It's been so dadgum warm lately (55-60 daytime, 40-50 nighttime) that it's making me think the deer are getting sluggish. It's OK though.....Once deer season goes out, it's time to start bustin' the hogs.....:cool2:

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i'm in tx. for deer i got one, lost one, flat out missed one with the bow, and got two hogs. we are supposed to go out jan. 10th to do some hog hunting by moonlight, as long as there's no cloud cover. that's a blast! as long as you don't walk out to a dead hog, the rest will keep comin back to the beer soaked corn.

3. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Must be nice to use an attractant. Can't do that here. Only hunt clubs and land owners are allowed to do that, and even then, it has to be a planted area (corn, rye, clover, barley).

4. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    AMEN ON BUSTIN' THE HOGS BROTHER!:smile2:

5. kyledbarnes

kyledbarnes New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i gotta little six, im up in the lake wylie area

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I haven't fired the first shot this year. I am going this evening since its the last day and a doe day to boot.

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    My son-in-law and I have been trying all week to get one close enough for the youngest grandson to shoot with his 20 ga, but haven't been able to. I finally pulled my .06 out yesterday for the first time this season and got a nice fat young 6 pt. Brock missed one about the same size, and young Tyler decided the shotgun wasn't going to be enough, so picked up Brock's .06 and shot at a small buck at about 75 yds, but missed. Now he can't wait to shoot one before the season is over. They just left here to go sit again. They managed a 6 point this morning, but Tyler wants to get his own now.

For those of you with kids, a reminder that Saturday, Jan 3, is a youth hunt day on private land and some GMA land. One last chance to get the kids out there.

8. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Tommy
    If he dont get one,we still have a month left with everyday a doe day. You guys are welcome to come hunt any weekend till the season closes....we hunt with dogs and that 20 ga would get a work out

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I finally got mine at dark. It was a 115 lbs doe.

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I was proud of my youngest grandson, Tyler, age 13. He's never really deer hunted before, but we've been trying to get him one all week and he finally managed it during the last few minutes of shooting light, on the last day (a youth only day). I sat with him this morning until early afternoon, then his dad sat with him until he shot his buck near dark.
    What really impressed me was the patience he showed, and following the instructions he was given by his elders. He watched 8 does and yearlings and waited until a lone buck about 350 yards away made his way down to the does. He could have taken a doe, but he was holding out for a buck. It was a young 90# buck with a fork on only one side, but the other side never developed; only a stub. He had never fired a high power rifle until he missed one on New Years Day, but today he made a clean one shot, in his tracks, kill with the 30.06 at about 80 yards.
    I had given him a 'lucky' black bear canine tooth necklace, mumbo-jumbo included, and he insists this good luck charm helped him get his buck. :wink:

Attached Files: