SC drift fishing

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by dust777man, Aug 13, 2009.

1. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    What length of rods do ya'll use and what is the action of the rods?

2. cattastrophe

cattastrophe New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use 8ft med. to hev. cat masters , love them they have not let me down yet .

3. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    7 foot medium heavy.
    tried 8 foot but hard to dip fish when I am alone.:big_smile:

4. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    I also use the 7ft rods, if you do a lot of night fishn use white rods unless you are one of them guys with your boat lit up like New York city.

5. DamonG

DamonG Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use 8ft med heavy ugly stick catfish rods. We have been using them for over 5 years and haven't had one fail yet.

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I like both the 7' and 8' rods . Depending on where you holders are, the different lengths help stagger lines a little nicer.

7. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    My question is...(being Im a bank guy and all)do you guys use rods that have an action that will set the hook for you?Some bend in it?I catfished from a boat before and I remember my dad using rods that had a limber action and the channel cats hooked themselves 90% of the time.Might not be a great idea if fishing for trophies though?

8. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    Keith,
    I use a med heavy rod and circle hooks. they circles hook up on there own and a med heavy has plenty of flex

GARY

9. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    7' Med/Heavy Eagle Claw Rods,Have a few of the 7' and 8' Ugly Sticks as well,all work fine but my personal preference is the 7' Eagle Claw,great all around rod:wink:

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Im with JD ,I use 7 ft Penn slammers in white for night fishing.Theey are heavy but with a fast tip.Longer rods make it difficult to net the fish close to the baot IMO but I have used 71/2ft ok.The guides tend to favor softer rods as they use circle hooks a lot.I use Kahles and like the stiffer rods for those.:big_smile:

11. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Keith,
    I use the 7 1/2 ft med./hvy and hvy action rods. The brands are the Quantum Big Cat and the Troph-e-cat from catfish connection. These rods have never let me down before and they have a good tip. Great with circle hooks and the rods load up good.

12. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I use 7 ft med heavy ugly stick catfish rods. Usually if the rod goes down he's on it, using either circles or wide bend hooks.

I'm not sure if it's the action or what, but my dad uses other rods (I think he just refuses to own anything with "Shakespeare" on it for some reason) and it seems he always gets snagged more and has more misses.

13. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Well,some people see Shakespeare and assume bad quality.But I think they have kept their quality level up with the Ugly Stiks.Thanks for the replys to my question.I dont have a boat in my near future,but I just had to ask.

14. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    I started using the lighter action rods on Santee, because at the time it seemed the flatheads would hit a live bait and feel the rod tip and wouldn't come back. I started using wonder rods (changed to striper rods by shakespeare) and started catching the fish. they would get hooked before they knew what happened. I have found that during drifting my luck is somewhat better with a little stiffer rod like the catfish rod that shakespeare has and a now silstar catfish white rod. Those along with the circle hook has always worked for me but always change up if needed. I have my favorite rods but be willing to change up if you are missing a lot of fish. A sharp hook is more important than the kind of rod you use. My PB was caught in heavy current on a 6500 reel spooled with 20lb line and on a limber Wonder Rod. The fish spooled my reel 3 times before i got him in the boat. It took longer to get him in due to the fact of the line size, my wife said 1 hr after he hit the rod i pulled in the 68lb blue. I was tired. he was tired, everybody in the boat was tired:smile2: I could had cut that time to about 20min if i had hooked it on the stiffer rod with 40lb line and 7000 reel but thats not the way it goes, they get big cause they know which rod to hit:wink: If you want to have fun, fish for the big boys on smaller line and lighter tackle.....just don't do it during a tournament:wink: Bass anglers try to say that bass fight harder than any fish lb for lb. if i used the little rods they used i probably wouldn't get many cats in the boat:smile2::smile2::smile2:

15. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    GRAPHITE!! I love it. They do cost more but are worth the investment. I use All Star rods that are an inshore series for King Mackeral. They are 7' MH rods. I have had them a year and landed *%# fish over 40lbs. NEVER have they even hinted at not being there when I need them. They have a tip sensitive enough to drift but a backbone that is not equaled by any other rod I have used. I love Graphite!!

16. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    :smile2:Graphite, do they come in white??

17. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for all the responses! Gonna go look around for some rods soon. I have a few, but need some more.