SC Boating Safety Question

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by JDWILLIS39, Jun 5, 2009.

1. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    The SCDNR site states "In South Carolina, any person under twelve years of age must wear a U.S. Coast Guard approved Type I, II, III, or V PFD when on board a class “A” (less than 16 ft. long) boat."

Does this mean my 7 year old grandson would not be required to wear jacket all the time on my 25 foot pontoon.

Now he likely will but he swims well and there isa rail all around the boat I am just trying get understanding of legal requirements.

Thanks for info.

2. alastingtouch

alastingtouch New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You are right... he is not required by law to wear one on your toon. When taking kids out under 12 I still require them to wear it... just for my own peace of mind. :wink:

3. Holmes

Holmes New Member

State:
    South Caro
    i was told that kids under 12 has to wear them while under way and could take them off when anchored. but i like my rules better, under 18 wears all the time over 18 up to them. i aways ask them if they can swim, if not i stongly sugest to wear.

4. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I always thought the same as above. 12 and under while underway and if anchored then they dont have to. My kids keep theirs on all the time. 1 little slip and it can be game over.....

5. turkyhunt

turkyhunt New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    In South Carolina, any person under twelve years of age must wear a U.S. Coast Guard approved Type I, II, III, or V PFD when on board a class “A” (less than 16 ft. long) boat

You are not required by law to wear it if boat is 16ft or longer. Makes good sense to wear but not the law.... retired gamwarden....

Most people think a paddle is required in boat... but it is not...