SC boat question

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by JDWILLIS39, Apr 16, 2007.

1. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Do you license a boat trailer in SC. In NC you have register your boat and register (license tag) your boat trailer but I see SC boats but trailers don't have tag on them. Getting ready to move to SC and just looking for info.

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    No you just have to register the boat and motor.

3. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    Actually there is a law concerning all trailers. If I remember correctly, any trailer that has a GWR (gross weight rating) over 1200 lb is technically required to be registered. Thing is that it is not enforced whatsoever. Only reason I know about it is years ago when I went to take a CDL driving test, they refused to let me take it because the trailer wasn't registered. But I can guarantee the the SC highway dept can tell you the law in a hurry.

Joe

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Sc carolina has done away with motor registration and has requried new boats to have a trailer title where u never did title a trailer. So far there isnt a trailer registration but they will decide one day that they could use the money and we will have one.LOL In 2007 now you will not have to register your boat motor anymore.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I didn't know that, James, but I like it. Those rinky-dink decals fade out after a year or two and you can't read them anyway. Thanks

6. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    We might have to get an official ruling on doing away with motor registration. I had to pay taxes and register the new 4 stroke I got form my toon last month.

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    It must have been titled a 2006 motor and not a 2007. I have a friend that owns a right large boat dealership and that is what he told me. Anything sold as a 2007 and on will not have a regestration. A buddy of mine just bought a 2007 17' sea boss and he didnt have to regesiter the motor.

8. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    You had better start chaining your motor to your boat. The main purpose of registering motors (other than taxes) was to cut back on thefts.

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yeah are probably right but how many times has a game warden asked to see your reg card and then checked to see if it matches the sticker on the motor. I know mine is faded out and he couldnt read it if he had too. So I reckon this still goes back to enforcement danged if we do and danged if we dont. I did see a boat motor fly off the back of a RV one time in waltaboro and coouldnt catch them to give it back to them so I called the dnr when I got home and they ran the reg # and had the people call me to get it back. I was in Florence and they lived in Anderson. It did work out though.

10. TWEEDER

TWEEDER New Member

State:
    SC
    It might be that any boat motor with a 2007 mfd will not have to have a registration but a used 1996 model I just bought in April 2007 had to be registered at DNR office in Columbia. Our rescue boats have to have motor registration, SC ID numbers, but no stickers. I don't know why but we have state tags on our trailers boat and equipment trailers.

11. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    They should let us stop having to pay taxes on older motors then. That's not right. If I pay taxes on my motor every single year, folks with new motors should too. Theirs has a higher taxable value anyway. It is what it is, and I can't change it, but I wish somebody would.

12. tnfishman

tnfishman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    In tennessee if you stay in state you dont have to tag a trailer, if you pull out of state you are suppose to tag, GO FIGURE. I have never tagged one and I pull out of state regularly.