Saylorville Spillway--still hot for flatheads?

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by BenNewt, Sep 1, 2009.

1. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hi,

First post here. I grew up in Des Moines but have been living in Minnesota for several years now. I'm going to be down in the area this weekend and was thinking about trying out the spillway for flats. When I was in H.S. (Roosevelt), I used to catch some flatties this time of year in the spillway even with the low water. How's the bite? Also, I used to park in the parking lots there by the spillway when the park was officially closed (night) and was never bothered by the police. Can people still do this there?

Ben

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2009
  2. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Ben, you can park in the first lot you come to, I've never seen it closed. Also along the spillway, and around the back there's a spot too that isn't gated in. The little park around back closes and they lock it up but you can still walk in. I've never had any great luck in the place. The shad are running thick and the water should be super low.

3. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Yep that's about how I remember it this time of the year. Thanks for the response.

4. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I went down to the spillway early on Sat. morning and soaked a bullhead from 4:30 to 7:00--not even a bite. Weird thing is that I tried the throw net several times in different spots and could catch a single shad. That place has come to resemble a landfill more than a fishing spot.....

Sat night I fished a very beautiful hole between Boone and Fraser--caught a whole bunch of smallish channel cats and drum and had something knock the scales off a green sunfish I was soaking.