Saylorville Lake September 20th or 21st

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by mdavis, Sep 14, 2008.

1. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi everyone, can catch cats all day at Red Rock but need to figure out Saylorville. I know of people catching tons of cats up there but I have never ever caught a cat out of that lake. Going up there this next weekend and was wondering if anyone else will be. Have a huge fishing pontoon if we dont want to bring two boats out but would really like to find where the cats and shad are on the lake. Saylorville is only 15 minutes away from my house and with a kid coming here shortly I need somewere to go catch fish closer then Red Rock.

Anyone have any ideas where to start that have fished out there? I have a GPS with river channell and depts of the lake. Just really lost out there and dont catch them at the same places I would find them at Red Rock.

2. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I believe we did chat at the boat ramp at Red Rock.

I'd really like to try drifting from a pontoon someday.

Good luck up on Saylorville. If waters are similar, I suggest finding channel edges near stump fields.

3. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yes, that was us. I tell you what....I have fished in about every kind of boat for catfish and this fishing pontoon has been by far the best boat I have had. Not only can I drive that thing around in less than a foot of water its dam comfy and seats 6 fishermen comfortably. Stumps are not even close to what they use to be up west. Have lost alot of them in the past 5-6 years.
    :big_smile:

4. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Does no one Catfish Saylorville??? Would really like a few hints and where the shad are.

Thanks in advance!

5. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    for what it's worth...
    Years ago, I found shad below the spillway on the west side. The bank had a bit of a dip in. I got lots of shad there.

The other place I'd try is where the adjoining reservoir (big creek or something?) drains into Saylorville...should be similar to how MacBride drains into Coralville.