Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Say Goodbye 5.56?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  twaskom 
#1 · (Edited)
I have heard that tune before, but it has been around for over 50 years. We have multiple weapons systems and gazillions of rounds based on it.

Is it really the end?

U.S. Army modernization officials told Congress recently that the service will begin fielding the 6.8mm weapons that will replace M249 squad automatic weapons and M4/M4A1 carbines in fall 2021.

But the current 5.56mm weapons are not capable of penetrating the modern body armor of near-peer adversaries such as Russia and China, he said.

The Army is banking on the new 6.8mm projectile it has developed, which it is providing to gunmakers so they can design a complete cartridge for their prototype weapon systems.

"We will provide the actual projectile; they will provide the common cartridge," Ostrowski said.

Ostrowski said the Army wants the new ammunition to weigh the same as the current 5.56mm.

"So polymer casings -- case-telescoped, for instance -- these are new and innovative ways that industry has been working to try to make sure that these rounds are not much heavier at all than the current 5.56mm rounds that we carry today," he said.

https://www.military.com/kitup/2019...ose-m249-saw-and-m4-carbine-replacements.html

See less See more
#2 ·
Im not sure,

I know its retarded. The chance of ground based conflict with russia or china is very low. I need a better reason than that, to invest millions of dollars in a new weapon system.

#3 ·
It maybe true that chances of ground based conflict vs Russia or China is very low, but I think chances of ground conflict against body armor made in Russia or China is pretty high, right? They pretty much sell anything to anyone who has money...

Having said that... where does it stop... someone is going to figure out a body armor that can stop this new bullets too.

#4 ·
It doesn't really make any difference. The military is going to do what they think they need to do. In order for them to be the best I can not disagree with that.

Now as far as a bullet disappearing. I don't think that will happen in todays market. People have the weapon so the bullets will always be here.

On the civilian side, that is all we really need,,,,,,another bullet.

Reactions: BCT
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.