Say a BIG prayer please!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by tkeyhunter, Nov 18, 2008.

1. tkeyhunter

tkeyhunter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    4th year attempting the whole "outdoorsy" hunting thing. Should let you know the only thing I have ever achieved while hunting in the great outdoors is a near death experience, but that is another story for another time. So I have begrudgingly promised to go out 1 more time for the first day of firearm season. One day & if no success I am D O N E!
    It may be a conspiracy. My husband began with a city girl that never got up before 7 am for anything. Now after dragging my butt to the woods, pre-dawn, in the bitter cold, to sit in the dark, with noises coming from all sorts of unseen (and I am sure ungodly) creatures, praying for daylight, all to wait until bladder rupture is a distinct possibility, without having the skill, patience, or ability to connect. Heck, I cannot even see them in the woods because when you grow up in the heart of the city (this is hard for country boys to understand) the whole landscape looks the same! Those sneaky devils blend right in.
    So he now has a wife that jumps out of bed at @ 3:30 am during deer season, gets the coffee rolling, a hot breakfast (small cause he eats more later), will fetch whatever he left in the other room & send him out with a kiss. Then prepare for a huge buffet for post hunting meal. Eggs, coffee cake, juice, bacon, sausage etc...will all be waiting. Just please please please leave my unskilled, non-hunting, scared of the dark woods, need more than 1/4 cup of coffee & a smoke, butt at home!
    great training plan for the perfect "deer season wife" and the sneaky man has pulled it off!

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Our prayers go out to you and for deer season. I hope you get one that first morning. It is such a rewarding experience

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    So he now has a wife that jumps out of bed at @ 3:30 am during deer season, gets the coffee rolling, a hot breakfast (small cause he eats more later), will fetch whatever he left in the other room & send him out with a kiss. Then prepare for a huge buffet for post hunting meal. Eggs, coffee cake, juice, bacon, sausage etc...will all be waiting. Just please please please leave my unskilled, non-hunting, scared of the dark woods, need more than 1/4 cup of coffee & a smoke, butt at home!
    great training plan for the perfect "deer season wife" and the sneaky man has pulled it off!

:0a30:I need to feed my wife some of that magic potion your hubby has.

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Don't most of us??? I'm hoping some day :0a32::worship:

5. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    and hear i thought i was the only country boy to marry a city girl who doesn't like to hunt, fish or any outdoor adventure.Hope you get to kill a big buck what a rush :)

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Scary things? Maybe it would help to know that there is nothing out there at night that isn't there during the day.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    All I can say is go get them girl. (More than one):go::go::go::cross::cross::cross::cross::cross::cross:

8. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Hmmm... I married a country girl who as we age MIGHT roll over and say good luck . But when we fish she baits her own hook takes all fish off except cats (something about getting stuck when younger ) and cleans her own fish guess I have a good wife .Can't have it all

9. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    No your not the only one for sure.:wink::smile2:

10. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I married a country girl, turned city girl, who was raised on a tobacco farm. She won't go out of the house if it is below 60 degrees outside, and then she is dressed like an Eskimo. She loves animals......as long as they are cats. She will go fishing with me as long as she can take her crocheting with her, she doesn't have to walk through any dirt, and it is 75 degrees or above. By sundown she is ready to go home. She doesn't like boats unless they have a full bathroom and room service. I don't think she would get up before 9AM if the house was on fire. If I'm getting up at 3AM, I have to sleep in the spare bedroom so I don't wake her up. She wouldn't climb a mountain if there was a pile of gold bars on top because then she would have to carry them back down. It took 4 years for me to get permission to hang my trophy deer in the house, and then only in a room where guests won't see them. My trophy Boar is still in the attic. She doesn't want to see a dead deer unless it is wrapped in butcher paper of vacuum sealed. She has absolutely no interest in hunting or fishing stories, but can talk for hours about scented candles or which store has the best sales. Every time I bring a deer home she asks, "Are you done yet?"

11. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio

I'll pray for you!:big_smile:

12. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks! She wouldn't be much good as a hunting partner anyway. She has a bladder the size of a walnut. It seems like she has to go every 20-30 minutes! LOL:wink::smile2:

13. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Hang in there BethAnn. I know grown men that has deer hunted 3 times that long a has yet to as much as ppull the trigger on one. Hang with it lady your day will come.

14. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Bethann, I have to admit; for years I was just like you. I'm still not a morning person....at all. But I will get up early to go hunting and fishing. I will gripe & whine, & hug my cup of coffee, but I WILL go! Because after years of "going just to be going", I now actually LOVE it. I wait all year for hunting season to open. On Saturday mornings I'm ripped & ready to go; by Sunday evenings I'm so whipped I don't care if I ever go again....until about Thursday of the following week. Then that ole urge starts up, & before long....YAY!! It's Saturday again!!
    I don't do the breakfast thing, though. Our hunting morning breakfasts are usually a honey bun stuck in the backpack w/a thermos of coffee. He carries his, & I carry mine.
    But I'm so thankful for all I've seen while hunting & fishing that I would never have seen otherwise; alligators, beavers, pelicans, turtles, & all types of other birds while on the river, and foxes, bobcats, deer & turkeys while hunting. And some of the most beautiful sunrises & sunsets I would have ever imagined.
    So hang in there girl. If it "gets ahold of you", that's great. If you never learn to love it, that's just fine too!

15. tkeyhunter

tkeyhunter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for all the prayers! Must have worked cause I shot a monster!
    8 pts and TONTO said will easily go 175. holy cow it was amazing!
    Got him skinned & quartered today, so making burger & links later this week. I will post pictures soon. And he ruined his perfect hunting partner, cause now I am alot less interested in the brunch & more interested in the hunting part. When I have a little more time to type I will share the story with everyone.
    signed,
    the killer :smile2:

16. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Pictures girl...pictures! It's on now. Now that you have killed, that's all you will think about as soon as the leaves start to change. Congrats!!! Question is...who is gonna fix YOUR breakfast while you're out chasing deer?

17. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    175 inch deer for your first kill!!!!??? Thats pretty incredible. Congrats. I guess I know what I need to do to get a big one.... If I don't kill one tomorrow, I quit:smile2:! Just kidding, I'm glad you had success. Its always such a rewarding experience especially after all the frustrations. Glad you stuck with it, bet you want to go again now, huh.

18. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    on a fine buck, Killer. I know you got to be proud and I'm sure your hubby is also. I'd say that your hooked for sure now.AGAIN
    Congradulations!!
    Now lets see those doggone pictures.

19. tkeyhunter

tkeyhunter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Maybe i'm not up on the "deer lingo" it was 175 lbs not inches
    just to get the record straight lol

20. tkeyhunter

tkeyhunter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    k here goes:
    in blind so I got to have a thermos & a book. First time for that ever! blind blocked the wind so felt warm enough inside I didn't even need gloves on, nice! About 3 hours into it saw deer (maybe) way across field/far far far away. Used a "bleat can" & called it in, but he (cause could now see it was boy)
    stopped & went in woods still to far out to shoot. Tried to bleat him out no luck, after about 10 min put gun back in holster, swore a little, and poured myself another cup of coffee & reached down to get book. Holy @#*&^% looked up & that sneaky thing was 25-30 feet directly in front of me. Don't know how that happened but then my hand got to shaking, spilled really hot coffee all over myself, and HAD NO GUN! so put cup down quietly, got gun, pulled it slowly out of holster & the nylon holster went "psssst" & made deer look right at me. @!*&$ again! closed my eyes real tight cause TONTO says the can sense you lookin at them & counted to 3 really slow. Opened 1 eye & he was still right there! So opened both pointed my 357/686 and hand looked like it was spastic! Set scope but click made him look again, so back to the closed eyes thing, when I peeked still there broadside. If you hadn't guessed, I am dying now!Figured now or never, but hand shaking so bad I actually missed! God I suck at this deer hunting thing! But (this is the freaky part!) he didn't run. I guess I was tucked in so well, he didn't know where that "BOOM" came from & didn't know where to run so just froze! Okay, now mad at myself. I have had this gun for over a decade & have killed countless paper bad guys with it. What in the hell was wrong with me! Talked myself into calm stage, slow, breathe, squeeze, & I think I hit him because he jumped & ran to woodline favoring his left side. Score!
    but then heartbreak, he doesn't fall over, he stands up puffs his chest out (as if to say "sister, you really suck at this, cause I am still here") I am ready to cry! I cannot believe I missed him twice, he was close enough to spit on. I try to see him with scope on gun, can't cause weeds too thick on that side of blind. so I put down handgun & picked up shot gun. I could see that cocky %&$@# now! Put a bead on him & pulled the trigger. He then ran into woods.
    I waited 45 minutes, heard TONTO's 4wheeler start up & went outside. Couldn't help but sting when we couldn't find any blood in the field. I kicked myself across the field to the woodline, damned city girl has no place out here, wasting his & my time, life to short for this kind of stress, etc etc etc ( I am moments away from a full fledged bawling episode )
    TONTO looked right & I searched left cause I couldn't tell you where exactly he went into the woods cause it all looks the same.
    Well TONTO found him about 20 ft in the woods! DEAD DEAD DEAD!
    Wasn't until we skinned him that we discovered I had hit him twice!
    Both were killing shots, and his stand at the wood line ?? don't understand that, but may have been a "tough guy moment" for him. One last look around, heck I don't know but I can tell you I was glad he was dead.
    4 years of drama & now that a successful hunt is under my belt I want to go again.