Saw something terrible yesterday

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by tomcat85, Sep 27, 2006.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    was out fishing by myself at the lake and saw a huge striper up on the shore and it looked like someone had caught it and gouged its eyes out there were also a couple of slits in it. this really really disguested me. people have no respect.

2. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    that is such a shame but i see that type stuff all the time and it makes me so mad i would just like to see somebody doing that one time and i bet it would be a long time before he did it again

3. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    People either don't care or have no respect .

4. Bubbafish

Bubbafish New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    ive seen it happen a lot and it ticks me off cause they just catch and throw em up on the bank and leave them. ive seen where someone had caught 4 catfish about 2-3 pounds a piece and just left they on the bank. its such a waste.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sad to see fish wasted, no matter what kind.

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    you sure it wasnt used for bait ? you know you put a big hook thru the eyes cut a few bleeder slits in it toss it out till it dies or catches a biggun .

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When I lived in California, we use to fish for Stripers. They get pretty big out there. I never caught anything huge just pan size but man do they fight.And,I have to say they taste pretty dandy fine to me.I can't see wasteing fish.Either put it back in the water,or use it for food,but don't just leave it on the bank.Gar is a different story, I hate them things even those I'll try to at least cut the head off and use it for bait! No wasteing fish period! Just my opinion.:big_smile:

8. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Thats pathetic. I've seen people do that to lil bream once. Just a bunch throwed up on the bank. But we all know that there a few people with a few screws missing,right?

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Whew scared me to death I thought for a minute there MELLON was back!:roll_eyes: :wink: :cool2: Shame to waste the fish but at least the local predators will get a meal.PK that is really interesting.I hate the gar also but I guess they have a place in the grand scheme of things .Did you ever catch anything on a garhead?:smile2:

10. roofermike

roofermike New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    I also think that it is a waste, but then again in this world nothing really goes to waste, animals will eat it, or it will rot and nourish plants.

On a side note this summer, we ran into a 50+lb flathead floating down the river, it had a huge gash in its belly. Almost made me sick.

11. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    All the more reason for us as anglers to teach our young and peers alike what conservation on our waters is all about.

12. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    sometimes when a lake or private waters are inproperly stocked, or become inandated with a species DNR will request or private owners will harvest fish (often times not eating or using them simply because there are so many) to thin down numbers to increase the health and food supply of the overall fish population.

This first time I saw this it was rather shocking, but it was for a purpose.

13. hailei

hailei New Member

State:
    AL
    That's Hot Garbage, Good Thing Is That The Sand Bed If Full Of Beneficial Bacteria That Feed On That Waste Form The Fiash And Stuff That Die In Those Waters. Circle Of Life. But Yeah It's Still Garbage.

14. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    By know means do I support bad fishing habits but sometimes its not what you think.
    What do most here do when they change baits after using a bream etc.?
    If you use live bait for flats after it dies, do you change bait and what do you do with dead bait. Use it as cut bait and what if you get no bites at all. . Sometimes , bait dont catch a fish and does get wasted . Not every one makes chum out of it. Even throwing back in the water so fish can feed off it, they will sometimes float back to bank.
    Now to catch fish to waste on purpose, just throw it on bank cause its not the kind you like etc , or fill up a freezer and not eat them , or illegal fishing etc. That waste, is un called for. Years ago I fished the spillway ( Dam ) but dont anymore cause of trash and cant eat the fish on that side of dam. There was lots of stray kitty cats.
    Now and then I did throw them a bream to eat, if they looked like they was starving.

Being a huge Stripper with cuts in side, is it possible a boat prop could have hit it. Before or after it had died for what ever reason. That happens often on my lake. Plus, smaller birds and even buzzards, crows etc. eat the eyes out of fish for some reason. Then they start on the rest of it. I see that all the time. Also other animals catch or get ones washed on bank and eat em. We got Eagles that I see catch fish and sometimes drop them. They be dead from claws and being dropped. Also coons, bobcats etc.
    I dont like waste in any outdoor sport.

Now trash, unless a storm comes up blowing away trash cans, LOL, trash is always what you think. Its people not giving a care. So is pollution/chemicals in our waters. That is my biggest grip at my lake.

15. roofermike

roofermike New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    I think that the Missouri river brings out the worst in people around here. There is garbage everywhere, ticks me off when you boat by some wing dike and see piles of trash and beer cans/bottles all over it. I guess some people just don't give a rip anymore.