Saw something on Video, opinions/thoughts?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JPritch, Nov 5, 2009.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    So I broke down and ordered a "Clonk" aka "Catfish Caller" (reviews to come later). It came with an instructional video featuring Denny Halgren and Victoria Sweet.

In it, they pulled up a 70+ flathead. Not sure if anybody has seen the video, but to me, I've never seen anyone fight a fish like this before. Denny was instructing her on how to fight the fish, but the fight seemed to drag on unncecessarily. Any time the fish pulled, she was instructed to pull line off her reel with her hands. When cranking the reel, it appeared she would only crank the reel no more than twice, and it was done very very slowwwlly. They were using stout gear, so I don't understand the extreme finesse used.

I understand not horsing a fish in, but this seemed terribly inefficient and I feel harmful to the fish to play it for so long.

I'm just wondernig if this a common technique for playing fish, or were they just extending the fight for tv? Not trying to be critical of anyone, just trying to understand the process.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  2. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Sounds like there trying to make money to me !!!!

3. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I do at times use my hand to pull the drag on some fish. I think in that clip it might come down to the pound of test he was using. I think If I recall he was saying he had 20lb test on, and in the condition they were in and the fish they had on playing it out would had been the best thing. Did they do it to long, maybe but then again it made for better viewing!

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Why not horse a big fish in?:confused2:.The reason they probaly took so long was to distract you from the fact that you don,t need a catfish clonk in the first place!:wink:.

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    :smile2: I hope you're wrong, but it won't be the first time I've thrown money away on fishing gear!

6. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I guess I understand the idea of the clonk, but how is it any different than smacking the water with your hand?

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston

Niko,
    It's very, very different...W

8. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I have never caught a 70pound catfish, so there is no experience here with that. Paying line out by hand makes no sense to me. If you use even semi-decent reels, the drag should be sufficient without having to "pull line by hand". I would think pulling line by hand would give the fish slack, making it easier to for the fish to spit the hook.
    Heck you watch them guys on tv going for lbs test records catching huge fish in the ocean with 2lbs test. They dont pay the line out by hand becaue the drag does that for them. I think the person you are talking about was playing for the purpose of a longer video.

9. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    If I am remembering correctly back in 2002 the main company that marketed the clonk in the US came on the BOC as a sponsor.

We sent out quite a few Clonks as part of a promotion to allow members to use them.

Long story short, members liked to look at them, and have one, but not fish with them.

Company went away.

Somebody else picked up the ball and tried.

It failed also.

I bought the domain.

Its just sitting now.

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i agree the drag should do the work. ive seen al linder pull line to play the fish till he finished his commentary:smile2: id say its all in show

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    if youve seen girls gone grabbin you can here the noise the flathead make when garding their turf i think the clonk is supposed to mimmic this noise:confused2:

12. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    So,
    What's it called...Clonks 1.com, ...Clonks 'R' us, ...We be clonks 'n' sh#*????

...W