Saving shad

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by snoman774, Jul 4, 2008.

1. snoman774

snoman774 New Member

State:
    fouke,ar
    hey guys im finally getting pretty good with my cast net i can actually throw it with out wrapping around myself or innnocent bystanders.lol
    last night i went to the dam for a few hours and on the first cast i filled kup my 2 1/2 gallon bucket usally takes me 15 to 20 cast

so what i want to know is if i get that lucky again is how do you save shad for use later in the year

i assuming freeze em but what do you put em in

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Chris,Welcome to the BOC. I have had fairly good luck with keeping shad on ice as soon as caught,then salting them heavily with seasalt or non iodized salt. and freezing them in small batches. They seem to stay firmer and keep thier color this way. Just keep them from sitting in water while on ice. hope this helps you.

3. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
  4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Do just like Richard says but individually wrap them in saran wrap and then put several in a ziplok bag and freeze them. Doing it this way they won't freeze together and you can take them out individually to fish with. Also you don't thaw out the whole lot at one time. Just take out two or three to go fishing with and use as cut bait.

Good luck