Saved some bullheads today from some boneheads.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by OttoDita, Aug 19, 2008.

1. OttoDita

OttoDita New Member

State:
    Ontario, canada
    I was fishing this evening and a few guys were down the bank fishing as well. Hammered drunk and having a good time. My son and I kept catching the small bullies we usually do in this spot. So we kept tossing them back in. So anyways, this guys comes over and offers me a beer. I declined and thanked him. But, he says "You throwing them back?". I replied with a nod, and smiled. So he told me they had "a bunch" of cats on the rocks. "We've been here for 20 minutes, and just catching garbage". I said "Cans and bottles?". So the guy laughed and said "No, catfish". So I walked down and they must have had 30 of these little cats flopping around these rocks. I asked if they were going to eat them. They said "**** no, we don't eat garbage fish, we're here for the bass".

So I said "You don't want them then? I can have them?". They laughed and said I most certainly can. So I threw them back in the water. Most swam away with little effort.

I just don't see the point in killing and wasting these fish for no reason.

So longstory short. They got pissed off, and started shooting thier mouths off that I was hurting the pike, bass and perch populations by tossing the cats back in the water. A little more to it. But that's what happend today.

Sure thier bullheads, but, still cats, still fish. And good for bait for the flatheads if any are around:smile2:

Shane

2. OttoDita

OttoDita New Member

State:
    Ontario, canada
    Thought I'd mention also. Not trying to offend anyonen in my post. If you kill them. Fine. If not, great.

But these guys today I dealt with were boneheads for multiple reasons. And not being hammered. Not just because they were wasting the fish. Like I said, more to the story:wink:

No offense intended,
    Shane

3. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Nice work brother! Thanks for doing this

4. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    who really cares if you offended them.any one who throws any fish on bank for dead because it is supposedly hurting the other fish is not a fisherman or anything close.if that was the case,they should of done something else with them,anyway.like give em to a flathead fisherman for bait:smile2:

5. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Not only are they killing for no reason but they are littering and ruining the area for others. Come the next day who ever fishes there would have been welcomed by a big pile of rotting fish. You did the right thing. Reps to you

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Great job, it is amazing how people treat fish that they consider worthless

7. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I must add if you never took the time and effort to clean and eat those bullheads tryit sometime . or flattie bait . There are non-native fish populations such as the asian carp which is REALLY gonna create a problem for all native fish species . Plankton eaters . University of Kentucky is finding ways to use these fish .

8. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Tricia makes a good point. Plus just killing for the pleasure of killing sucks. I don't think that bullheads eat that many fish anyway. At least any I have cleaned through the years, none had any fish in their stomachs.

9. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i woul;d have called the gamewarden !!!

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    What those bullheads lack in size,they make up for in taste,Here in our clean water they are delicious.

11. OttoDita

OttoDita New Member

State:
    Ontario, canada
    Thanks for the support and rep everyone. I could sit there and watch that happen. I would have the ministry, the problem is with Ontario, is we have very little officers that cover the whole area. Chances of one making it out would have been slim to none.

Well, the guys were angry, the one took a swing at me (Over tossing the cats back lol). He settled down not long afterwards.

That's a very good point about them stinking and making it unenjoyable for others. Today I was fishing at a pond close to the same place and up on the land was a carp, about 12" long. No head, rotting away being eaten by flies and bees. But, it stank!! So I could imagine what 30" cats would be like.

Thanks again for the support my friends. I appreciate it,
    Shane

12. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I think you should have imposed some role reversal. Instead of them throwing the fish on the bank. You could have thrown them in the water to sink. :smile2:

13. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Shane,
    As you already know, you did the right thing. Those guys were obviously idiots. They claim the fact that bullheads hurt the populations of other fish? Bass and Pike both will prey on smaller bullheads almost as aggressively as flatties! In addition, catching bullhead can be alot of fun for kids and grown folk alike as you already know. Last not not least, bullheads are great to eat as has already been stated in this thread!

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    GOOD FOR YOU, SHANE!

15. muddyjet

muddyjet New Member

State:
    Alabama
    That is just the kinda of thing that gives us the little blacks every now and again when these "saving the earth peta types" come across people such as that. I think the only trash on the bank was those ignorant wanna be fishermen.
    A question to ponder. If they were so worried about the bass and such, why were they catfishing. Sounds like, after they got back from the wood shed, someone could teach them how to fish for bass and what to use, obviously they are doing many things wrong.....
    Great job.....Hope their rods got broke.....