saved by the coast guard

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by poopdeck [patrick], Jul 5, 2009.

1. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Yesterday My dog and I put in at columbia bottoms about 4 oclock in the afternoon. I went down to just above the chain of rocks where I like to fish for flat heads. About 7/30 I decide to head back. I get just above the new chain of rocks bridge and all of a sudden my lower unit goes out. I slowly start drifting back towards the chain of rocks. So I let out my anchor and now I am stuck in the middle of the river trying to figure out wtf to do. The only members number I have is Dan so I figure I would call him to see if he knew anyone who was out in the area who could give me a tow. It goes to his answering machine. Every once in a while a tree or big log goes by, it/s getting dark so I get on my vhf radio and ask for help. Nothing, I try for a half hour and finaly get some one on channel 14. He says he is alerting the coast guard and the fades out. I am getting my anchor lights out when pow a big ole log plows into the front of the boat and wraps around the anchor line almost dragging the front of the boat into the water. I call my brother in law on my cell, he calls 911 and finally gets the coast guard in st louis. They are doing fireworks watch duty but say they are heading up. I finally get someone on the radio again and he gets my cell and gives it to the coast guard. They call me and said they are on their way from st louis but they have to go through the lock. I give them my gps numbers and wait and wait and wait. They call every 15 minutes but it is real dark rainy and foggy so they are moving slow. About the time I am wondering if this log at the front of the boat is going to pull me under or break anchor it finally breaks free and I can see their lights in the distance.

These guys were great, tied my boat along side of theirs and towed me all the way back to columbia bottoms. Like I said it was dark, rainy and foggy so they went real slow, took way over a hour to get back. They had me in their boat and what a wonderful boat it is, four man crew, twin 225 honda's he said it is a half a million dollar boat. These kids, all in their 20's were great i was mr kane and they were very nice to me and my dog. They had not been on the mo before so I kinda guided them, we finally seen the ramp and when I was just getting ready to tell him to watch for the dike he hit it. I thought wtf now I done sunk the coast guard!!! It wasn/t that bad he just scraped it and went over it. They were going to help me trailor the boat but when they seen the ramp he said he could not ground out the boat to help me so I had them get me close and jumped off with my line and tied her off. I thanked them and figured i would just stay there untill morning and then try to load it. By now it was 1 in the morning I sit in the jeep a while and was finally able to winch it on with my strap and got home about 2. I just took off my lower unit and am in the process of putting another one on now. Thank god for my vhf radio, cell phone and especially the coast guard. Oh and a special thanks to russ for the design of his river anchor,it saved my life.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Glad every thing turned out all right. Coast Guard guys and gals don't get enough credit for what they do

3. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Sorry to hear about your troubles Patrick. You did everything in the right order for sure. Throwing anchor is one of the best things to do that I know of other than trolling over to bank, or getting on the vhf. Sounds like your day was about like mine....:confused2:

4. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    Pat sorry about bad day out,:crazy: glad you are ok:big_smile:
    good thing you called the coast guard

5. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    wow! thats a hell of a night. did you catch anything at least?

6. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Good to hear you made it out O.K.Hope you get repaired soon.I remember you saying you don't have a trolling motor.Me either,but after reading your story,I'm gonna get one.At least then I can manuver to a bank.

7. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Sounds like a pretty bad situation. I have not been in that situation and I hope if I am I can stay calm enough to do the right things like you did.

8. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    I jst listened to the radio, called up my xgirlfriend and told her it was nice knowing her:big_smile: and waited. the dog and I both had on our life jackets. I figured to worse that could happen is i would lose the boat and they would pick me up floating somewhere atround st louis. The bad thing about it is the river has dropped and I did not think I could make it over the chain of rocks with out turning the boat over.

9. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    i had caught a small flat head, about 10 lbs

10. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    Me too, the thing about it is, I have a good remote controlled trolling motor. I just need to soder a broken wire. Guess I will be doing that.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Patrick that is a intense story with a good ending. Sounds like you had the necessary safety equipment to get you through the harry situation. Glad you were safe and was able to save all of your equipment.

12. catfishchris

catfishchris Active Member

State:
    missouri
    Patrick, I hate to hear you had trouble, but I'm glad it turned out ok. It's a good thing you had your cell phone and the vhf radio. Things can go bad out there in a hurry if you don't watch it.

I will pass along your appreciation to one of the local Coast Guard Commanders. I'm sure he will be glad to hear about your level of satisfaction from the contact with one of his crews.

13. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That sounds like a pretty scary story, glad everything went ok. What happened with the lower end? Did you have another lower unit ready to install, or repairing it?

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Great Story Pat. You had 3 of the 4 greatest safety devices you could have in in the boat with you.

VHF Radio - Which led to your help
    The Anchor - Which stopped you from possibly going under a barge.
    Common Sense - Which allowed you to make quick sound decisions when you needed too.

Only thing I'd like to see is a trolling motor to get you out of harms way. :wink:

Thanks for the story. I hope others can learn from your misfortune.

15. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    I called up the coast gaurd and told the man on the phone to pass on my thanks but it would be great if you could pass it on too.

16. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    I had bought a spare from craigs list for 100 bucks but sold it on credit to my sisters kid, he never paid me and never used it so I went over and got it back. I should have her back on today. Done got it off and put on new impeller and housing . Just got to slap her back on:big_smile:

17. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    Thanks cuz, i don't know about the common sense but i sure am hooking up my trolling motor.:smile2:

18. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Wow, scary chit right there Patrick. I'm really glad that it turned out for the best. Thanks for sharing it, we can all learn from something like this.

I left my cell phone at work this weekend so I did not get your call. I'm anxious to hear your message on Tuesday when I head back to work :wink:

For future reference I'll include my cell & home number below. You, or anyone else for that matter, can call either of these at any time should you run into problems like this on the river and I'll do my best to help you out or find help.
    Cell 636-233-2118
    Home: 636-265-0418

19. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    glad to hear it all turned out ok like u said thank god the coast guard was there

20. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    You got that right. I had no one else to call are i would of never bothered them. I may of been able to stay where I was at all night but there was a lot of stuff comming down the river and I think something would of got me. A couple of big things hit me and if they were much bigger I would of been a goner or at least lost my boat and maybe my little dogg:embarassed:ie.