Saved a hawk today

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Smuggo, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    I have a garbage pit on the property that i use for burning feed and seed bags and the like. I dug the hole with a back-hoe and It's about 10-12 feet long and about as deep (imagine a 3ft wide deep ditch). Dumped some bags this morning and heard something down in the hole.

It was a Red Tailed Hawk that must have attempted to catch a rat that was after some extra feed from the bags. He must not have been able to spread his wings in the tight quarters of the pit to fly out and was stuck there untill he died.

I have no idea how long he was in there but he appeared weak and almost lifeless. Because the hole was so deep and I did'nt want to risk my own saftey by going into the hole so I fashioned a snare/noose on the end of a long piece of pvc pipe...whoever invented duct tape was a genious.

after much trial and error I was able to catch the bird around the neck and lift him from the hole...he was very cooperative during the whole process as if he knew I was trying to help and even flapped his wings a little to provide some extra lift on my flimsy hawk saving rig as I lifted him from his trap.

Out of the hole he gathered his senses and adopted a defensive pose with wings extended and beak open. He had about a 2-3 ft wingspan and appeared to be in good condition with no broken bones (especially on his wings) but he did not try to fly away

I was hot and now I had a stressed bird on the ground in the heat of mid-day sun. I made another snare and re-caught him and set him on a low lying branch in the shade about 6 ft off the ground. Had some bottled water in the truck and was able to get close enough to poor some water over his beak with some trickling into his mouth. When he realized there was water in his mouth he drank the birds do with the gulping action.

figured that was al I could do for him and went to the house for some lunch. Went back a couple of hours later and he had flown to a higher perch about 75 yds away. Tried to walk over to him to check his condition and he flew another 100 yds to another tree

hope he makes it...

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Way to go man. You did a good thing.

3. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    .............Check out Postbeetle's "They Know when you're going to kill them" post, I think you'll like it.

Reps to you.

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You were lucky you got as close to him as your did with the water. You probably saved his life. Thanks. Don't tell the guys in Small Game Forum you saved this hawk's life. Will lessen their chances at squirrels and rabbits. And if he comes at my chickens and guineas, will have to send him back to you in a box. Postbeetle.

5. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    that was a good thing you did for the hawk.
    they are awesome creatures.
    i remember rideing to work on a dirt bike when i was 16 early in the morning and a hawk flew right beside me for a little bit with a large black snake in
    its clutch , pretty neat!
    i got to rescue one that chased a pigeon into a hardware store i frequent
    he was only too glad to be set free.

Attached Files:

6. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good job! I've had similar experiences with a hawk, as well as a herron. If you'd run into another situation, take a coat or jacket & throw over them & wrap them up. The Red Tail I helped was nearly exhausted. I watched him for about 15 minutes and just as I was ready to get him the 2nd time (to call rehab) he took flight.

lol, which was a good thing, as I hadn't figured how I was going to drive my truck & hold him at the same time. I was about 3 miles off-road.

Smitty

7. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Man i love the bird of pray!!!!! we have got to where we see bald eagles around here and MAN ITS AWESOME!! GREAT JOB!!!

8. KATMANDETTE

KATMANDETTE New Member

State:
    Cedar Key, Florida
    Wow. Totally awesome! I'm so glad you saved him/her!!!

Mik

9. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    Darryl:

That's a pretty nice story, like the picture as well.

P.S.

You got some explaining to do dude, what's my GIRLFRIEND doing in your avatar??? :angry::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

(She'll KILL me if she reads this):sad2:

10. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Everybody is doing a good job here. I saw one of the fellows mention herons. Just a word of warning. That beak they got will really hurt. Had a Veterinary acquaintance doing some rescue work with herons. Picked the bird up and the bird plucked out one of his eyes like it was a grape. Be careful around these critters-tell your kids the same thing I mentioned. Dogs will get the same treatment. Postbeetle.

11. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Reps all the way Sir!!! I'm not a PETA person at all period, but I have great respect for any guy/gal that tries to rescue any kind of animal in trouble.That's just plain awesome!!! Glad to be associated with you on the BOC!!!:smile2:

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    That was a great thing that you did.I hate to see any animal /fowl suffer if it doesnt need to. Amazes me how they can just soar in the air for so long.You said you hope he makes it.I'm sure that it will be fine.Maybe a little more careful in it's quest for food.