Saved a dog?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Buddrice, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Last November I found a dog in the woods with a blue collar but no name on it.He was covered in ticks and looked like his was about to starve to death.His coat was so bad he had lost some of his hair and my wife was afraid to touch him,he looked so bad.She thought he had a disease and I told her it was lack of food.I left him in the woods and the following weekend when I went back to camp he was still there.So I started pulling the ticks off of him and brought him home.I took pictures of him and posted fliers in several stores around the area where I found him.I ran an ad in the thrifty nickle for three weeks with no response. When dog season opened I pulled the fliers because I didn't want someone to claim him just to run deer with him.I have felt bad about this because he was somebody's dog and I don't believe in stealing.Now I have had him eight months and have really come close to him. He went from starving to the life he has now.Has anyone had something like this happen to them? Did I do the right thing by bringing him home?Here is a picture of the life he lives now.I have bought him a big dog pillow since this picture...

Attached Files:

2. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Of course you did the right thing by bringing him home. What you need to ask yourself, more than wondering if you did the right thing by pulling your fliers, is why there were no fliers for a lost dog matching the dogs description.

3. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    we found a dog once that had been hit by a car...got him fixed up at the vets...we posted out fliers and such nothing ever came of it...well about 6 months later a man comes to our house stating the dog was his...i ask him why he did not come for it before and he said that he didn't want to bother with it until the dog had gotten better...well being the even tempered gentleman that i am i let him know that if he thought he was getting that dog back after my family had spent so much time getting him better he'd better get a lawyer or some band-aids cuse either way he was gonna have to fight me for him...needless to say the dog is still a part of my family

4. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    You did the right thing! Don't even concern yourself over the matter you went way out of your way and if someone had really wanted their dog back you would of run into fliers and ads in the paper asking if anyone had seen their dog. Looks like you treat the dog great, new pillow.... can I come live with you? I'm losing my hair and I can walk around the woods for a bit and get some ticks on me for you to pull off. Hmmm, what do you feed that dog, I'm a little picky in that area. lol Enjoy your new dog.

5. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Hey Bud...what's his name, anyway?:smile2:

6. That's an English Coonhound. You did a good thing giving it a home. These dogs, as the name implies are used for coon as well as squirrel, bobcat, bear, lions and other tree game. Got one myself that is colored up very similar (that color is a redtick) english hounds also come in bluetick, red and white, hound tricolor (black tan and white) or what is known as english tricolor (a combination of all the above usually bluetick on top with red tick on the legs and belly).
    It may not be a coonhound per se as alot of these hounds are also used to run deer, fox, hogs and other non treeing game. Usually those dogs are coonhounds that lack the desire to tree game but will run fast game.
    I think it was more than likely the latter as most coonhunters I know refuse to turn loose a hound without at least some sort of identification on the collar. Most also use a tracking collar as well. I know my hounds have two brass tags on their collars with my name, address and phone numbers plus a little warning to advise them not to get caught with my dog. I also use a tracking collar everytime they are turned loose and I will not leave the woods without them.
    You did a good thing.

7. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Jen, I named him Red after that song Ol Red by Blake Shelton.
    :big_smile:

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The above says everything that I need to know to respect and love ya.peewee-williams

9. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL

Jenn's right. If the original owners wanted him, they would have found him. My fiancee and I had something similar happen to us just this past spring. We saw a dog with no collar wondering around our apartment complex. We thought it was odd, becasue dogs aren't allowed here. Well, we figured that somebody in the surrounding neighborhood had lost him and let him run around for a while longer. The next day, we saw him again, just walking back and forth up our road. That day we went out and grabbed him and took him in. We cleaned him up and got him some food, then took a picture and posted it around town. We called all the local shelters and left his information. It's been about three months now and there's been no word from the original owners. We ended up giving him to my mom, and he's turned into a really nice companion for her.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You too Jen.peewee-williams

11. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I had a similiar experience. When I was 19 or 20 I was living in Tennessee enjoying the good life. Then my mom's fiancee died of heart attack and I packed up and moved home to take care of her. Shortly thereafter a buddy got me a job at some research lab he worked at. I wasn't too sure about working there but I needed a job bad and the pay was right.

I ended up being a care taker for small and large animals. Rats, Mice, Guinea Pigs, Beagles, Rabbits and Monkeys.

On one hand I learned alot about how things are done in the medical community - got to hang out with doctors and scientists and such. But on the other hand - some of that testing is just nasty :(

Well I ended up babysitting a room of beagles for over 6 months when they were mega busy. Most of these dogs are very unsocialized and well - just completel idiots as far as dogs go.

Well this one dog was an oddball. All the other dogs just wanted to play with the other dogs - they didn't want anything to do with humans beyond a quick scratch behind the ear. Can't say I blamed them. I don't like needles either :p

All he wanted to do was sit in my lap. I'd let the beasties out to play and instead of playing with his buddies he would come over to me and scratch me till I picked him up. Then he'd just lay down and and go to sleep.

Well a bit later they decided to use those dogs in a new study - and while I won't go into details - downright the worst study I ever saw there in the 2 years I worked there. Had to do with a potential cancer treatment - but whoever thought of it was a complete idiot. Gee, let's inject salmoella into people with cancer so it kills the cancer!

Well by then I had gotten pretty attached to this dog, so I asked if I could adopt him. Of course they said no - this is business after all and those dogs are downright expensive - purebred beagle bred in 100% clean and sterile breeding facilities.

So I pulled a loophole on them that made it impossible for him to be used on a new study. I knew about it the whole time - they were just so overworked they missed it. Downside was that it would probably lead to him being put down but that was alot better then death via salmonella in my book. After some run around, red tape and some favors I finally got the green light to take him home. In the history of that lab - that's the only adult animal to ever make it out alive :/

He's got some serious mental issues from a lack of socializing and living in a 3x4 steel cage for the first year of his life.

But he's sweetest dog I've ever seen. All he wants to do is sit in my lap or be near me. I use a recliner for my PC chair and he usually sits on the back of the headrest. He had alot of learning to do about real life. He'd never seen anything but steel cages and concrete walls.

I had to get another dog to show him how to use stairs. Mirrors kept him busy for a few days. He was afraid of tall grass for the longest time.

He's still got that hunting sense though. I had let him out once early in the morning - heard a noise - looked out the window and he's chasing a deer around the yard. He also keeps the local coon and possums away when he's out.

Here's a couple pics ->

Buddy 1
    Buddy 2
    Buddy 3
    Buddy 4

Oh and he likes any other critters too - even cats.

:D

12. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    yes you did the right thing
    alot of hunters dont care about thier dogs they serve one purpose
    our local pound always has walking coon hounds I took one home for 5 years till she past away

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you did the right thing! hold on to that dog, he was brought to you for a reason, youll find out someday. as far as abusing, keeping dogs in cages, experiments, etc, thats the kind of crap that will transform me into a raging wildman! a punch in the face is too light of a punishment! i had to put my grandmothers poodle down about 10 years ago, and at the vet they asked me if i would let them have the dog to donate it to nearby Wright State University for use in animal experiments......I WENT FREAKING BEZERK! "YOU @%$#!%$ #^#%$@$#! @%^%@^%@%#$ #%$" I MADE THEM PUT HER DOWN RIGHT BEFORE MY EYES AND I WAITED FOR A HALF HOUR AFTER HEARING THE LAST HEARTBEAT! they tried to wisp the dog away right after injecting her too. it dawned on me right then that they might be sedating animals just enough to please you and then giving them away. i dont know if they still do that there at Wright State but there was a big stink about it back in the early '90's. im going to stop now, my blood is starting to boil..........

14. I would like to see you edit the above to read A FEW. I have hunted with hounds all my life and while yes there are some sorry POSs out there that do not do right by their dogs they are the exception not the rule. It is just like most things in life. I am sure there are some sorry POSs that call themselves catfishermen (just look at the trotline threads).
    I am finding it hard to remain polite as I see the above post all to often. Most often coming from antis posing as fanciers and rescue. I hope this is not the case. While I applaud you for your compassion and willingness to provide a home for someone's cast off dog, please withhold judgement on the vast majority of houndsmen who truly love their dogs. And yes my hounds have one purpose, to show me the coon. That does not mean I am willing to throw away a less than stellar hound. They are my responsibility for good or bad. As long as they are here they are cared for as well as I would a world champion hound. I would never in any way dispose of or discard a dog in an inappropriate manner.

BTW the name is Treeing WALKER Coonhound. A walking coonhound is a bluetick LOL. Also it is very possible that the dogs you mention are not walkers. The goodmans, julys, and other strains of RUNNING walkers (which are still extensively used to run foxes and coyotes as well as deer) share a common ancestry with the Treeing Walkers and look alot alike as does both the english and american foxhounds. There are also some cur breeds (yes a cur is a purebred dog) that look like hounds. It is very common for shelters and rescues to just hang a breed tag on a dog based on what they most resemble. I have surfed some rescue sites and have been amazed at the number of coonhounds that were actually dobermans, rottweilers (often mistaken for Black & Tans), wire haired and english pointers, weimeraners and vizlas (look like redbones).
    I once spotted a border collie mix (Okay so I guessed, it looked like it had a majority of black and white border collie in it's background) tagged as Bearnese Moutain Dog at a local shelter. Since I was unfamiliar with the breed and assumed the dog was a owner surrender with papers I asked about it. I was told this this was a stray that was picked up off the street with no further information. Later I looked up information on this breed and found out that is a rare breed that is not even recognized by most registries and with very few breeders in the US and none in my state. What are the odds of a purebred Bearnese Mountain Dog being found playing in the street in downtown Birmingham,AL? Besides the dog was black and white with no tan trim as the breed standard called for plus it was a small dog and not the large dog that a BMD should be.
    I have got a real problem with rescues and shelters who want to blame all their problems on responsible hunters and not address the problems of overbreeding in the "purebred" and lapdog markets.

15. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    well said.

I know many have people have dogs out back in a pen that get fed well and taken to the vet but in my book thats not good enough. I feel sorry for dogs like that and am sorry that the owners don't know hurtful that kind of life is.

you did a great thing, you saved his life and now have a friend for life.

if I lost one of my dogs everyone in 3 counties would know I was trying to find him.

16. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    You guys are the best! My husband has worried so much about bringing the dog home; he's been afraid someone would try to claim him. I've told him that with all the time, expense & LOVE that we've put into this dog, they'd have to fight ME to get him! He is the most affectionate, funny dog. I've called him "Knuckle-head" so much, he recognizes the name! But I love him. Oh, as a side note; we brought him home the weekend our 16 yr old basset hound died. Talk about timing! Thanks to all for the kind words of support. And to the respectable dog hunters, we mean no disrespect at all. It's just that there are some less than respectable ones that run their dogs over our deer lease every year, so we've gotten kind of a bad experience over that. But I do appreciate all your input & info on the dog. And to the member who rescued that adorable beagle....good for you! He is beautiful, & very lucky to have you!