Save your money!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by yeppa, Dec 25, 2008.

1. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I was just enticed to purchase the Jan IN-Fisherman by their cover promissing an article on "Top Bluecat Water". What a let down! Not only did the writer fail to mention MILFORD LAKE -- there wasn't a single quote from Jim (Catfish Fever) Leonard!! Obviously not well researched.

2. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    They must have neglected to consult Ned Kedhe too. Ned usually
    represents Kansas fisheries well in the rivers at least. But notice the
    way that the article is written, they obviously started with a short
    list of lakes where the guides practically guarantee 80lb+ blues and
    we haven't had that for a long time on Milford. I've always wondered
    why Kansas has always seemed to be behind in the numbers of big
    fish. Are we really overfishing our trophy size population or is our
    problem in the amount of cover available? Couldn't be nutrient levels
    the land around us is some of the most fertile in the world. Outside
    of the occasional monster flathead, where are our real brutes? Do
    our people just eat them or what?

3. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Large fish are being over harvested in Milford, but that's not why there is no 80lb blues there. They haven't been in the lake long enough to be that big yet. They first stocked blues at Milford in the early 90's. The lake record is around 50 pounds but it is estimated that the largest blue in Milford is probably up to around 60-65 pounds from the early stocking.

4. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    And what really is surprising is they did'nt even mention all the great fishing in Perry.Even after i called them and told them about our gathering in June and all the great people that would be there from all over the state.I even let them know one of the Best lake blue catfishermen (Jim) would be there testing the waters at Perry for three days and one of the best river flathead fishermen (Kyle) was coming up to try for his PB flat out of Perry and was bringing Ray with him and all his other buddys from the southern part of the State.Even mention that Gary would be there and he's known for his big catches out the Kaw and he was teaming up for Kyle to set a new state/lake record.

Guess i better call them again maybe they did'nt get my voice mail:big_smile:

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Here is an interesting article. I read it awhile back but recently came across it again. Most of it applies to the NE part of the state. You lucky ba$$ turds!:confused2::smile2: Some of you may have already read it.
    Here is a small quote from the article.
    "You'll find 40- to 50-pounders in the Kansas River, and also in the Marais des Cygnes River. They likely represent the two best flathead rivers in the state, but that is open to discussion."
    What river feeds Melvern?:wink: I dont think there is a need for discussion.:smile2:
    http://www.greatplainsgameandfish.com/fishing/catfish-fishing/gp_aa061302a/

6. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Obviously things have changed since the article was written in 2002. As far as channel cats go the record was broken a couple of years ago at the mined land wildlife area down around Scammon. It came out of a small pit with multiple feeders and that's probably where the next record will come from according to KDWP biologists.Feeder fish grow real fast and don't have to expend much energy to get so big.If we could get those morons to let the bigger ones go they would grow faster.The next record will come from a place like Osage sfl,Woodson Sfl, Pleasonton or mined land again.Heck D Sage was close to it last year.I had one over 30 right next to the boat and didn't have a very big net and it snagged me up.My biggest channel last year was only 18lbs. The year before I had 3 over 20lbs in one day.And Kyle 3 of the 4 places I mentioned are in the southern half of the state.I did fish the Kaw 5 or 6 times this year and I caught channel cats of 14 and 15 lbs were the biggest.I'm sure there are big fish in there I just think they are more concentrated and easier to find in small lakes. I don't really know what the hell I'm doing on the river yet.

7. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
  8. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have had a real difficult time in getting them to cover any member from the BOC or the BOC. Its almost as if if they are against the BOC, they get prime coverage, LOL!

9. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    they just dont know what they're missin not talkin w/ BOC members i tell ya !!
    BTW, nice pic Paul

10. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Actually, In-Fisherman mag did have Milford Lake listed as a "Hot Lake for Bluecats" about 3-5 years ago, they had it in there list/map article.. I had caught, released and submitted 18 Bluecats that were eligible for their master angler award program(I have the certificates/patches:wink:)that year. I still have the article some where in one of my scrap books, I'll see if I can find it. They also qualified for state awards.
    Like Jay said, since then, the overharvest started pretty much. Every year, to many really nice Blues were kept. Couple of years ago, I seen two trotliners(no poles in the boat, and not knocking trotling either) They had 20 Bluecats, the smallest looked to be about 15lbs or so. There are still some big ones in the lake, but they get more scarce every year.:sad2:

11. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Paul, I didn't realize that you were quite so...hairy. Also, I thought you'd be,
    I dunno,...taller. I guess you really can't tell much about you from
    them videos. My idol is a fuzzy little white guy with a blue acoustic guitar.
    Could be worse. Could be Ozzy Osbourne. Prince of Darkness...All aboard
    the Crazy Train, guys!

12. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

lower kansas river basin the monstors lurk from there to ole miss,the lakes have some but not many

13. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

if you ever get the chance you should head down in a boat to where it meets the kaw kinda going to the sorce its a fun trip for sure

14. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    You're looking better in this avatar photo. More like yourself and less like
    the white woolybooger. Good to know that side of your personality, though.