Save your catfish! stringers vs. mesh bags

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by SangamonCatKiller, Jan 18, 2006.

1. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    As a practitioner of CPR I firmly believe in the preservation of our catfish habitat. And on certain occasions there comes a time when one must keep a fish alive for periods of time in order to have a photo taken. This is where the issue comes into play. While most probably use stringers to keep there catch alive we have chose to use the common duck bag or mesh bag. Stringers imo can cause damage to the fish gills, one of its most vital organs. And seems to add to the stress that they are already under(It ticks them off !!). Using the duck bag the fish can be submerged completely in water, without any stress from a stringer in the gills. You can even tie them off to a nearby tree and allow the fish deeper water for better oxygenation. Another benefit is that the bag will usually hold a couple of fish(unless of course, it is a monster). They are less easily missplaced and imo can save alot of fish! So take your time and catch a few more, knowing that your bigun' is still alive!:cool: I think everyone should try this one time guys! If you don't like the hassle then you can stop. I think this can really save some stress on these fish, I have personally never seen any harm done from the bag, but as another member posted I am sure it is possible for the fish to lose some oil during the transaction. I still feel that it is better than adding additional holes to the fish and/or gilling them. They usually stay pretty still in the bag as it becomes harder for them to swim. Once you let them out, however they are full of life again. This idea is primarily for bank fishermen. The bag I use is like the one below:

[​IMG]

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i made this a long time ago to keep fish in that i was liberating from the "lakes" i used to fish,and later used it for keeping river flats in till morning to take pics. i havent used it in a long time because after sitting and resting all night flats tend to be rather "ticked off" in the morning! not worth the trouble. this is really easy to make. just take 8-10 ft of construction fencing and fold it over, weave a rope to bind the halves, and you can weave the bottom if you want but i made a rod with pull pins to pull out to make removing the fish easier. when you unroll it it will want to roll back up, but after sitting in the water for a little while it will loosen up. put a softball sized rock in the bottom of it to keep it down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    When fishing tournaments from the bank I use a mesh bag similar to the duck bag. The bag I use is a mesh laundry bag that can be purchased in most Dollar Stores or Wally World. About the same as the duck bag but a little less cost I think...And yes...it sure seems to work great.......

4. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I still use some old burlap bags I have and some mesh bags that 50 to 100 lbs of potatoes and onions come in.

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    im not sure about what happens to fish kept either way but i know that i have brought flatheads home and put them in a 1500 gallon goldfish pond and kept them for up to 4 weeks with no sign of damage and this was on a stringer.im sure the bag would work just as well.only problem i could see is with loss of slime allowing bacteria to cause infection but thats possible with the stringer to.

6. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I use the Wally World Laundry bags for my bait and it works great. Saves on having to hear the noise of the pump all night. and for $5.24 the price is right.