Save your catfish! stringers vs. mesh bags

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by SangamonCatKiller, Jan 18, 2006.

1. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    As a practitioner of CPR I firmly believe in the preservation of our catfish habitat. And on certain occasions there comes a time when one must keep a fish alive for periods of time in order to have a photo taken. This is where the issue comes into play. While most probably use stringers to keep there catch alive we have chose to use the common duck bag or mesh bag. Stringers imo can cause damage to the fish gills, one of its most vital organs. And seems to add to the stress that they are already under(It ticks them off !!). Using the duck bag the fish can be submerged completely in water, without any stress from a stringer in the gills. You can even tie them off to a nearby tree and allow the fish deeper water for better oxygenation. Another benefit is that the bag will usually hold a couple of fish(unless of course, it is a monster). They are less easily missplaced and imo can save alot of fish! So take you time a catch a few more, knowing that you bigun' is still alive!:cool:

2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Good idea Nick. I'm not sure I've ever seen a duck bag. Got a pic of one ?

3. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    He means a decoy bag. Google it and it will explain itself.

4. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
  5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i made this a long time ago to keep fish in that i was liberating from the "lakes" i used to fish,and later used it for keeping river flats in till morning to take pics. i havent used it in a long time because after sitting and resting all night flats tend to be rather "ticked off" in the morning! not worth the trouble. this is really easy to make. just take 8-10 ft of construction fencing and fold it over, weave a rope to bind the halves, and you can weave the bottom if you want but i made a rod with pull pins to pull out to make removing the fish easier. when you unroll it it will want to roll back up, but after sitting in the water for a little while it will loosen up. put a softball sized rock in the bottom of it to keep it down.

Attached Files:

6. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Great ideas guy's.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Good idea ive thought about that,but didnt know what to use.For the smaller ones i just use one of those floating baskets but i dont really have anything to use for the big ones other then the stringer and i really dont like using those because im always affraid of hurting there gills.But im lazy i dont want something i have to make so maybe ill check out the decoy bags.I was thinking mybe those mesh bags like you would put laundry in might work,what do you guys think?You thing it might be to thin?I think it would work.

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City

LOL.........I bet wouldn't you be ticked off too if someone left You in that all night!!!!........LMAO

9. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
  10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I usually just poke the stringer through its bottom lip. their is a soft spot in the middle were their aint mutch meat, under his chin i guess you could say. cant hurt um mutch worse than a big hook.

11. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    DH had an idea last year about using decoy bags with swim noodles I think to keep it open and floating. Very similar to this. DH, do you still have those pics of your idea? This will end up in the library soon. Thanks for sharing your idea Nick.

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I use my live well in the boat. I'm not much in putting a fish in a restricted state in a bag. Where it is going to brush up and bang into it removing it's protective slim coat. The stringer I never place threw the gill's unless I’m keeping it. Like kccathunter said stick it in the middle of there lower lip. There is a little indentation that you can see.

13. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    You do have a point a live well would be the answer... if you have a boat. Also I don't see how a fish is going to "bang" into the mesh sack ?

14. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    I think everyone should try this one time guys! If you don't like the hassle then you can stop. I think this can really save some stress on these fish, I have personally never seen any harm done from the bag, but as another member posted I am sure it is possible for the fish to lose some oil during the transaction. I still feel that it is better than adding additional holes to the fish and/or gilling them. They usually stay pretty still in the bag as it becomes harder for them to swim. Once you let them out, however they are full of life again.
    ]Nick[

15. gilly

gilly New Member

State:
    Texas
    Anything made of fabric mesh is a good idea...I used to use a square basket from wire mesh, but quickly quit b/c the metal mesh scratched the fish. Using fabric mesh is more gentle, leading to a successful release. Of course a 60 lbr, like in my avatar, you wouldn't want that in a mesh bag. I tied a rope through the bottom lip. He seemed real healthy upon release.

16. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    Yah, I think if I caught a 60+ I would be taking its picture immediately!. No time for a bag on that one. You would probably have to stuff the thing in the bag to begin with. Luckily(or not) our river record is 49.67 or so pounds. I am just looking to break that. The odds of me finding a 60+ pounder is slim and none.

17. Noodlejug

Noodlejug New Member

State:
    st. louis
    When we were kids we would use a burlap potatoe sack or onion sack to hold fish or make a fish or crawdaddie net. Those sacks did a lot of things then. turkey holder, rabbits even a one legged sack race!

18. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    If I know for sure that I am going to keep the fish I just use a soft rope stringer through the gills. If it is a bigger fish I put the stinger through the bottom lip. I use two of the large stringers so they can plenty deep. From their they go into the cooler.

19. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    If I'm shure I'm gonna release it I release it after I've caught it. If I plan on keeping it I'll stick it on the stringer till im ready to go and then decide if im gonna take it home. I dont stick um all:p . heck I usually dont hook em all sometimes I just feed um;)

20. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    when camping i take a 2 foot by 2 foot by 4 foot chicken cage made with heavy one inch mesh wire. i put enough stirofoam in each end where it will float and put a hook on the door so the fish cant push it open. have kept fish in it for several days. anything to big for the fish box i just use a rope stringer behind the lower lip tied off to a tree. kept a 40 pounder 3 days like that once and he was really mean when i dressed him.