"Save The Boat Landing"

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by rivercatsc, Mar 4, 2007.

1. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The florence city/county council are considering selling or permanetly leasing the Dewitts Bluff boat landing to a prominent doctor in florence for his private use. This landing is not theres to sell it was donated to them for the purpose of having a public landing. I will have more info later today to pass on to everyone. We @ pee dee catmasters have already got the ball rolling to get this action stoped but we will need your support.

2. Longhunter

Longhunter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    These kind of things really bother me! maybe you can come up with some email addys for the city or county big wigs

3. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    rivercat i got a lot of buddies who fish that area i will get with them and try and start a petition or something so get back as soon as you can

4. gowens

gowens New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I don't use that landing much but it is a shame that those of you who do use it a lot may lose it. Let me know what I can do to help.

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Florence county has begun negotiations to either sell or long term lease Dewitts Bluff landing on the great pee dee river to a prominent Florence county physician. This state/county owned property is currently held in the public trust for the citizens of Florence county and the state of South Carolina. Pee dee river watchers believe that this is not in the best intrest of the sportsman and river users of Florence county. We urge you to call or write your county council members to express your disproval of this council endeavor.

Chairman K.G."Rusty"Smith, Jr. / Russell W Culberson
    914 Ron McNair Blvd. / 1526 Francis Marion rd
    Lake City, SC 29560 / Florence,SC 29506
    843-210-7368 843-210-3276 / 843-662-7289

Johnnie D. Rodgers, Jr. / Mitchell Kirby
    1636 Johnsonville Hwy. / 4635 W. Palmetto St
    843-389-2440 / Timmonsville,SC 29161

Waymond Mumford / James Schofield
    1421 N. Whitehall Dr. / 2114 Shandon Dr
    Florence,SC 29506 / Florence,SC 29501
    843-662-4790 / 843-669-1632

J. Ken Ard(Landing District)* / H. Morris Anderson
    450 W. Armfield Rd / 4240 Blitsgel Dr.
    Effingham, SC 29541 / Florence,SC 29501
    843-493-3564 / 843-662-2248

*This is the main person to talk to because it is in his district. I will be in more contact with him in the next few weeks. He has assured me that it is in Florence counties best intrest to keep and maintain the boat landing themselves this is good news. But as we all know a polotician is a poltician and money talks. So with that said we will stay on top of it until it is resolved. I will let everyone know what the best source of action will be but for now call them and let them know how you feel. Thank you for your help in this must nedded area.

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    We are getting ready to lose Bostick boat landingdue to them building a power plant there. They said they are going to put in a new landingupon completion of the plant but That will be 7+years from now. Cains boat landing is trying to be closed off by another doctor that just bought all the land of delta mills. If we give up what we have we either wont have a boat landing in Florence county or have to pay to put in our own public river. I do believe if you give them an inch they will take a mile. They were trying to keep this proposal queit so no one would now about it until it was to late. Please I urge you to vioce your opionon. The squekky wheel gets the oil. So lets stick together on this one.

7. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Where is Dewitt's Bluff landing??

8. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    hey james i work at the honda plant in timmonsville and we got petitons going around to help fight this and i wrote down the councilmens names and will give that out to the fellow catfishers in work and have them call and try to help in everyway

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Friday I am going to post petitions at all 3 sporting good paces also and I have one at the paper mill where I work also. Thank you and I wil be getting back in touch with you about this. I dont know if we are going to need a peteion or not but better safe than sorry.

10. WhiskerSticker40

WhiskerSticker40 New Member

State:
    SC
    Thomas and James:
    Thanks for all of your efforts and info. I just got off the phone with Ken Ard's wife and asked that she pass along my thoughts regarding this issue and asked that he call me back if he had any questions or comments. She stated that she has received numberous calls this afternoon about this as well. It seems as though the word is getting around. I informed her that even though I do not live in Florence County anymore, I still use this landing and I spend money in Florence County while on these fishing trips. I also stressed that we are losing more and more public boat landings on Pee Dee and that we would appreciate anything that Mr. Ard could do to preserve this landing for the Public's use. I would also ask that if you want some help with the petition's circulation, please IM me and I will give you my email address and if you send me a copy of it, I will try to get some signatures from the Hartsville area as well. Thanks again guys and keep up the fight, our children need it!

Just my 1/5th of a Dime's worth.

11. WhiskerSticker40

WhiskerSticker40 New Member

State:
    SC
    One other thought: I will also Rusty and Mitchell Kirby. I know both of these councilmen and will make them aware of everyone's concerns. We need to remember that Mr. Ard is only one council member and therefore only has one vote. We need to let the others hear from us as well.

12. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yeah I have talked to all of them and had a long conversation with Russel Culberson. They all have assured me that in 2010 when the 30 year lease is up the county has the monies set aside to buy it and make some improvments.