Save money on bobber stops

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by SangamonCatKiller, Feb 1, 2006.

1. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    This is yet another bargain saving post by old s.c.k. I am sure alot of you use bobber stops for your bluegill fishing, and I also use them to secure my swivel on my main line for flathead fishing. Buying these can be a pain and ends up being costly. Have the time I buy some, only to find out my beads are to large for the knot and slides right over them. Tip: buy some orange/flour. twine from your local hobby store along with a box of thin straws( a little larger than coffee stirrs). For a total of about 3.00 you can now make about 4,000 bobber stops!!. The tricky part is duplicating the knot that they put on them. I will try to explain but, posting pics will better help. Basically you will want to cut a 5" piece of twine and line it parrelel with the straw. With your thumb hold the far left end of the twine against the straw. Next loop the twine around the straw four times, take the far right end and begin threading it through the loops, starting at your far left. Once you have threaded them pull both ends tight on the straw and it will form the noose looking knot on the straw. Cut a 1/2" piece of straw of with the knot and you have a bobber stop!!. I will post pics asap, as I am at work right now.

2. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I would like to see pic's of that. Sounds interesting. Something I might give a try.
    I mainly just tie a rubber band or a piece of fishing line where I want bobber to stop. That works for me but I do have to re adjust after setting hook, missing or catching the fish.

3. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dano,
    I do the same thing, seems I always have little pieces of line in the tackle bag from rerigging.

Here is how I tie mine:

4. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Sangamon, if you cut yourself another small piece of straw, maybe 2 inches long and hold it next the long straw (so you wrap them both), tie your knot as usual, but instead of feeding the tag end through the loops, feed it throught the small piece of straw. When it comes out the other end, slide the small straw off. Tighten as normal. This basically just gives you a tunnel to run the line through instead of through the loops. It helps if you are gonna make a lot of them, or if the eyes or fingers aren't what they once were due to that aging factor.
    Rat

5. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    SangamonCatKiller, great idea. Another idea is getting them in bulk. They have them on ebay for $9 counting shipping for 100. I still have most of mine left from last year.

6. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    Rat, you are the man!! That is brilliant., saves a whole lot of time.,
    Nick.

7. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for putting that pic up. That is about the way I do mine. Makes it easy for reeling and casting.
    Works great, cheap and less stuff to worry about.

8. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Tonight I'll put pictures up of a way you can do it when your poles are all strung up, very simple and you can even tie it while in a rocking boat, I like to use bricklayers twine, it comes as three twines wrapped togethet but I only use one of the three, easy to have packed away on the boat and if your stop knot starts to slip you don't have to cut the line and restring everything........Doc

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    This is why the BOC is what it is! Great posts.

10. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    I made hundred of these and used a little straw that Rat talked about. I am getting low, and I can't remember how I tied them. Looking forward to the pictures. I tied whole bunch from "Tracker string" for bow hunting. It was florecent green and could see it great at night when crappie fishing.

11. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
  12. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I sense some more library material here. LOL Thanks guys, I'll wait til Doc posts his and put them all in one thread. Thanks.

13. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I guess i'm lazy, I either buy the neoprene ones or take some dacron and tie a couple tight overhand knots on my line with it....

great ideas!

Shawn

14. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    I didn't cut the straw the knot was on. I left the straw whole and tied mutilple knots beside each other. I guess it is personal preference. Thanks for sharing.

15. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    That is a great idea. i plan on trying that this spring

16. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    sounds great,would like to see some pictures of it,would be better to make them than buying them all year.

17. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
  18. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Can you show a picture with the stopper attached to the fishing line?

19. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    great thread ,and posts guys.
    thanks for doing this . i hate buying those.
    that will free up the cost of a few for slip bobbers or hooks:)

20. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    O.K. guys don't bash the Bone man here, but I've never used these. I've seen them in the store before but was unsure how they worked. Does the straw slid off the line and then ya tighten up the tag ends ?