Save Me Before I Quit!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by JimmyJonny, Jul 29, 2009.

1. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Come on....nobody likes a quitter, LOL.

Hang in there, it takes time. Someone will surely teach you the patterns and techniques for you waters. That's what it really come down to. I don't know about your area but in a lot of places the bite is slow...fish are still scattered.

Good luck...we will be watchin for some reports ; )

-Jim-

2. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    I dont know much up around those parts but Rock dikes and wing dikes are killer down here .

They sell skipjack around there dont they ? Maybe even get your self a big head and chunk it up.For decent blues 2 things you must have ... 1 current 2 Bait fish... yes you can catch blues in all sorta places but some decent current and bait fish is a damn good combo.

For flat head look for creeks and stuff that they can run up in and feed off the pan fish some times just go out in the AM around 4:30 5am and cruise around and watch for the bait fish and your sure to find some nice cats feeding.

Dont give up it takes time.I gave up years ago due to the biggest thing i could get was a 5-8lb channel.Its kinda like hunting learn what your fish likes to do when they feed were they feed when they sleep ect.Nothing is better then sitting back and watching them in action your learn a ton of great info.

Ive walked the missouri with out a pole watching what these guys do.
    Another big thing is TALK to your other fisherman see what they are doing.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009

3. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Hang in there John, the pool you fish can be rough… I’ll try to make it up there early Sept and if our schedule jives then let’s hit the river… You have great channel cat fishing there, good flathead and fair blues… mean while fish early mornings or evenings targeting one of the three but channels will give you more activity over the long run if that’s what your wanting.

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Don't quit. Just hang in there. Fishing can be down right discouraging sometimes. But the more time you spend on the water the more you will learn. Have you tried drifting? Drift until you catch a fish, then anchor where you caught him and try that.

5. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Good things take time. Hang in there and keep trying different locations, baits, methods. Sooner or later you'll hit it right on. I'm still trying and don't plan on giving up. Anyway, I have nothing better to do with my spare time, there is nothing better to do.
    Well, maybe buying new stuff but that will only fly so far with the wife :eek:oooh:

6. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    see..... Im headed out right now its like 3:50am .. you gotta be up and around to see what they are doing.:wink:

Good luck and bend some poles.:smile2:

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    3:30am and your lines aint in the water yet ?....

LOL...g'luck out there ; )

-Jim-

8. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Just quit while you still can and give your equipment and boat to me <lol>
    Hang in there man and don't stress it so much. You might be trying and thinking to hard about things and stressing yourself to much over it. If you go out there and go with the mind set of just to have a good time it's much better. Nobody learned things overnight and those who succeed and are good at their craft no matter what it is also failed many times. Nobody learns just by book. They learn by trial and error so hang in there and just have fun along the way:big_smile:

9. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Come pick me up and we'll go fishing or hunting!!! Or we'll hit the honkey tonks!! Worse come to worse ill give ya 20 cents on the dollar for your fishing rigs.:wink:

10. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Don't quit John. I also will be over there in Sept. If the river will stay in its banks. We will fish your art of the river this time.May between MJ. and myself we can get you on some fish. Hang in there. It will get better...

11. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    They call it fishing, not catching. I've caught very few BIG fish (very few little fish, for that matter) but for me, it's the going that counts. Catching something is just a bonus. Hang in there. Wish the Mississippi was close enough for me to try, :(

12. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Go ahead and quit John.....more room for everyone else:wink:

Seriously,
    As great as the BOC is, I think that there is perhaps one negative to being a member of this site: Unreasonable Expectations
    Many members, including myself, have benefited from the things they have learned here but people tend to forget that alot of members were darn good anglers before they came here with years of experience under their belts.
    There is such a high concentration of good fishermen and women on the BOC and between them they generate a lot of pictures of outstanding catches. This often leads newer catfish anglers to believe that simply being a member here and following the methods of the successful ones is a ticket to catching more and bigger fish.
    By your own admission John you say you are a book-learned fisherman. Nothing wrong with that at all but everything you learn from the written page has to be put to a practical test. While having a mentor is, no doubt, a real bonus, it is not a necessity. You just simply have to put your time in and not get frustrated.
    In my late 20's I took up clay pigeon shooting and realized I was quite good at it. I quickly became one of the best shooters in the small club of which I was a member but that wasn't good enough. I wanted to be the best. Being the best meant I had to be able to regularly outshoot Phil, and Brian.
    These two guys were amazingly good and had both represented England in international competition. Some days I could hang with them and some days not. When they beat me I would get so frustrated and angry with myself.
    One day after Brian had beaten me in a shoot-off for first place I was particularly dejected and I asked him why some days I could keep up with he and Phil and some days not.
    He said "You just haven't seen enough yet"
    He went on to explain that both he and Phil had been shooting longer than I had been alive and that no matter how good I might be there is no substitute for experience.
    That is the crux of it. Experience. Sure we all get lucky from time to time and we've all heard of the guy who catches the whopper on his first trip but over the long haul those that consistantly catch fish have put in their time and honed their skills.

Contrary to what I said up top, don't quit, just make every trip out into a learning experience. If you catch fish, learn what you did right. If you don't catch fish, learn what you did wrong. Most of all enjoy it out there, isn't that really the reason for going?

Good luck...W

13. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    I don't know if this will help you or not i stay away from scour holes and wing dikes this time of year. Use your fish finder i look for changes in the bottom with as little as a foot or so ,washboard or structure you will find fish hanging at these places i do not know the river that well my self but i always catch this is my first year fishing the river hard.I normally fish lakes but wanted a challenge and got one still cant break 20 lbs but having a blast doing it and isn't that what its all about don't give up there are some great people on this forum so maybe start one for your section of the river for more help and good luck

14. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Hey man just relax. Fishing is not about catching fish. Its about getting away from it all. Sometimes I am in the mood to fish but not catch and on those trips catching a fish can screw up a day. Because I like to eat fish I have to decided do I want to keep it and clean it later?

From the sounds of it you have everything you need to catch the fish. It also sounds like you are trying to catch the big ones. I have been on the hunt for a monster for a while and I may never get him/her but for me it the thrill of the hunt. Maybe just relax and remember what it was like to catch a nice stringer of channels in the 3-5 lbs range.

Most of all remember... That while you are on the river not catching fish... some poor schmuck is stuck at work.

15. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    To paraphrase Winston, there's no substitute for experience and time on the water. The gear is part of it, but the biggest part is being out there - the old saw about not being able to catch them from the couch is true. I don't mean to imply at all that you don't fish a lot, just a way of reinforcing what Winston said.

For every fish picture I post (and that's not many, I'm not that good at it) there's a lot of hours sitting there reading the sonar manual or getting an uninterrupted night's sleep in the boat because the fish aren't cooperating.

I don't know what your fishing schedule is, but a lot of the guys on here who are good at it spend what most non-fishermen (and a lot of anglers, actually) would consider addiction-level amounts of time at it. And that's just the fishing part. For myself there's an additional couple of hours getting bait before I even wet a catfish line and who knows how much time tinkering with the boat and gear. I'm lucky, though, and have an understanding wife and kids who like to go.

In addition, for myself at least, I try to make sure that time isn't spent on the same 3 or 4 spots. On these rivers there's soooooooo many places to fish that a guy could spend years learning the few miles up and down from his "home" ramp.

Having someone show you the ropes is great - I met some great people on here who showed me the basics of river navigation and what some common terms mean and that saved me a long and expensive learning curve as far as what you can and can't do on the river safely. I owe those guys a lot for taking the time to do that.

BUT the fishing spots I found on my own over the years and the fish I've caught out of them give me more satisfaction than any fish I've ever caught out of someone else's spot when they were showing me around. Not to take anything away from people who took the time and effort to show me something, but there's no more satisfying thing (for me, anyway) than to look a spot over, set up on it the way I think it ought to be fished, and catch something out of it. And what little ability I have to do that came from spending lots of hours on the water trying new things. Good luck, don't give up (or if you do and decide to have a fire sale on gear, shoot me a PM :smile2:) and as LMHart says, even if you're not catching fish, there's somebody stuck at work who'd give their eye teeth to be in the boat getting skunked along with you:wink:

16. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    also forgot to add don't be afraid to move spot to spot. me its 20 min in a spot no bite i am to the next

17. Guitarzan

Guitarzan New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There's nothing wrong with the knowledge you get from a book. It's how you apply it to your area, situation, and what you're trying to do.

Do you ever fish the area south of Beebe Island along the Schaffer Island? There should be some good holes downstream along there. The river narrows and turns slightly south, there's wing dams, and small feeder creeks right there. That's south of Fabius chute correct?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  18. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Dave, I'll disagree with you a bit on that one. Over time my fishing style has gotten a lot like hunting - I'm fishing spots where I think they'll be passing through or where they'll come to feed. I don't usually give a spot much less than an hour.

That being said, I'm almost 100% night fishing once the weather gets warm enough so I'm not typically fishing something like scour holes where the fish either are or aren't and running and gunning like a lot of day guys do. Also, if I'm moving, I don't have lines in the water.

If I'm fishing during the day, then all bets are off - half hour, 45 minutes and I'm moving. During the day I'm looking for those couple of insomniac fish who are still awake or trying to hit a resting one on the snout with a bait. If there's no active fish there or I don't get the bait where it needs to be then, yeah, you're absolutely right, you might as well move and find a fish who's up and moving.

Hope you don't take this as criticism, it's absolutely not, just my take on how long I'll fish a spot. :big_smile:

19. Billy_Mojo

Billy_Mojo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    In the daytime you'll catch more fish that are eatin' size. Simple matter of that's when it's safe for them dinks to be out and about. If they was out competing for food when their bigger counterparts were active (at night) they'd be likely to be eaten themselves, and/or not get any food anyways.

So night or day, the little ones get eaten. Either by me in the daytime or by a bigger fish at night. (By little ones for me I'm talkin' them 1.5 - 4 lbs. fellers.)

20. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Ahh, see, there's your mistake - make it PERSONAL between you and the slimy little **(&&^ and you have no problem keeping up your motivation to do what it takes to put a hook in one of 'em :smile2:

I haven't spent much time on the Mississippi but I spend a lot of time either alone or with one of my boys (Joe is 7, Eric is 10) at night on the MO and to me it's an acceptable risk. Different rivers, I know, but the same concept.

As an uncle once told me "There's nothing out there at night that's not there during the day":wink: Get a good safe track saved during the day and mark your spots while it's still light out and you'll reduce the pucker factor a LOT as you change spots then head back to the ramp at night. Also,start out learning the night shift when you've got a good, clear night and the moon is out. By the time the new moon comes around you'll be a pro:big_smile: