Save me a trip to the ODNR?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Colsrob, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I have been considering getting a boat this winter that will allow me to fish in some smaller, shallow rivers. The 2 most likely being the Tangy and the Scioto(below Greenlawn).

In doing some research I discovered that you can only use a Canoe on the Tangy...if I read it right. Being the case, would anyone happen to know if motors are allowed on the Canoe? And if so, what kind(gas/trolling) and what sizes?

I also found something else that was interesting, in my research. I wonder if it qualifies for the Tangy...motor or not. Click Here!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You can put anything on the Olentangy that will float. It is not limited to canoes or from motors just water depth :wink:

3. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I am glad to hear that. I do think the ODNR should be a bit more clear though. It sure did appear that they were saying only Canoes could be used.

That info will make it easier to decide on a boat type then. I didn't really want a Canoe, but if it would allow greater access to local waters, I would have been willing.

I even looked around and found some pontoons that mount to Canoes/Kayaks. Something to help stablize if I went that way. Although, if it wasn't for the cost being a bit more than I had planned, those Ghee Noe's seem like a really nice idea, and a pretty decent looking Boat/Canoe.

I would much prefer a semi-Vee boat, instead of a Canoe. Although, a Canoe would be much easier to haul around and get into the water. Aside from the possibility of dealing with a motor, you could put in at just about anywhere that had a decent bank access. Home storage would be easier as well.

Thanks for help Jack.

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You may want to look at the Native Watercraft Ultimate series of boats. They are a hybrid of a kayak and a canoe but MUCH more stable than either. It is built on a tunnel hull so you can even stand in them. I had one and I could not flip it at all. It can go in to any depth of water and you will still feel safe and secure in deep water. They even make a trolling motor attachment for them. I believe some also come with a pedal drive so you can power the kayak with your feet to leave you hands free for fishing. They come from about 9' to 16'. I had a 14.5 tandem/solo that had plenty of room and only weighed 60lbs. I used to take it places on the roof of a Honda Civic. I sold mine because I fish the Ohio 90% of the time in my Deep V but it was a sweet boat. I think some other BOC members have them you can find some posts about them in the kayak/canoe section if your interested.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  5. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I took your advice and looked around at some other boating possibilities. I did find one that really caught my eye.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/1stdirect_2073_11140977

Plenty of area to mount things. Even can accept a small motor/trolling motor. Although, it would definately remove the idea of having a fishing partner on board.:big_smile: Then again, from what I seen, just about all Kayaks would do that. Even the tandem Kayaks would be a bit tight with 2 on board, to try fishing out of.

It may seem kind of dumb, but even though I can't seem to get the people I fish with at this time to go out on my boat, I would still like to get one with enough room for 2. That way I can invite members from the BOC to fish along when I go. I'm not so sure I can get away with a Kayak, or even possibly a Canoe. I think I would be best suited to stick with a traditional aluminum semi-vee.

But, a cheap Kayak is not out of the question for me to use if alone. I'm just a bit concerned about tipping.:big_smile: I might be best served to just make a couple of add-on pontoons and borrow one of my friends 6 Canoes. Although, some of those Kayak set-ups are really cool.