Savannah River

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by Pro kc, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Pro kc

Pro kc New Member

State:
    Barnwell, South Carolina
    Hey guys I fish the savannah river 95 percent of the time. I couldnt find to many people in the SC state talk who fish this river. There is alot i dont know about this river and how to catfish it, for big blues and channels. I had one guy tell me that there was flatheads in it but i have never heard of anybody catching one in it. Anyways whats the best way to fish this river for big blues and channels? thanx

2. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i'm not familiar with savana(spelling?)river,but i have heard there is flats in it.i know there is stripes in there,i seen them on tv shocking them.i'm sure you'll find some good advice.good luck.:006:

3. fearless58

fearless58 New Member

State:
    ga
    I HAYE FISHED THE SAVANNAHN RIVER A GOOD BIT FOR BASS AND STRIPERS. I HAVE CAUGHT SEVERAL NICE CATS WHILE BASS FISHING ON SPINNER BAITS. I HAVE ONLY CAT FISHED ONCE AND DIDNT FARE WELL, BUT I AM PRETTY SURE THER ARE NO FLATS IN THE SAVANNAH RIVER. AT LEAST NOT BELOW CLARKSHILL WITCH I HEAR IS MFULL OF THEM. I REALLY NEED TO GO BACK AND FISH THE RIVER AND TAKE SOME TIME TO LEARN IT. GOOD LUCK

4. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    My wife and I have taken to fishin the Savannah quite a bit lately. We usually put in at Burtons Ferry (under the 301 bridge where it crosses into SC). We've had pretty good luck with both channels and blues, although we've yet to hook into anything over 15-20 pounds. (Except the huge sea turtles we catch all too often!)

Where do you put it at? What questions can we help you with?

- Marty n Denise -

5. Pro kc

Pro kc New Member

State:
    Barnwell, South Carolina
    Yea my dad puts in where you do. I put in at little hell and white womans point. What size sinkers do you use and what kinda water structure do you fish? For bait i usally use cut bait like bream and large minnows. I know cut eel works great for cats out there.

6. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have no idea where "little hell and white womans point" is...have to check on Google Earth for that one. Is it north or south of Burton's Ferry? Oh, it's probably on the SC side, right?

As for your other questions...

Sinker size, like on any other body of water, is dictated by the current flow. When the river's up and running hard, we usually use 5 ounce no-roll sinkers. When it's not running too hard, like it is now, we'll usually go with 2 ounce no-rolls. I've also had pretty good luck at night using a the large Katboobers, outfitted with a glow stick, and with a two ounce sinker just above a 8/0 circle hook.

We approach structure a little different on the Savannah than we do on the Altamaha...mostly because we're after channels and blues on the Savannah, and flatheads on the Altamaha. On the Savannah, we mostly target dips and river channel edges/ledges, with some sort of downed trees nearby. The trees will usually hold channels, and the river channel edges/ledges have stronger current, which is where we've been finding most of the blues.

Bait is another thing we do differently on the Savannah. We've tried bream, both fresh cut and live, and really haven't had much luck with it. We gotten a few blues on smallish chunks of bream. But most of our fish come on either shrimp or rooster livers. Another thing we've had good luck with are Catalpa worms, which come from the trees in our yard. We've tried eel heads, which are deadly on the Altamaha for flats, but found them just about useless on the Savannah.

Another thing to consider, especially if you like eating your catch, is to bring some worms with you. Doesn't matter if they're wigglers, pinks, greens, whatever...just as long as they're moving. Wrap one on a hook and drop it down near some trees and you'll have a small eatin' size channel in a matter of minutes. Denise and I loaded the live well with over FIFTY small channels one afternoon. Nothing over a pound or so, but boy were they good fried!

I think that about does it for your questions. I'm not saying any of what I've said is 'the right' way to do things...it's just what works for us.

Good luck...
    - Marty -

7. Pro kc

Pro kc New Member

State:
    Barnwell, South Carolina
    Thanx man. That was alot of real good info.

8. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    The area around I95 on the Savannah River is a great place to catch blues and channels. There are several creeks in that area that are very productive including Abercorn,Knoxboro,Collins and Union creek. These are all feeder creeks that dump into the main river within 5 miles of where I95 crosses the Savannah River. This part of the river is somewhat tidal affected as well as the normal river current but absolutely full of nice blues (15 - 25 lbs) with very little fishing pressure. There is a stretch of river between I95 bridge and the mouth of Abercorn Creek thats is normally 20 to 25 ft. deep with a lot of big trees in water that holds a lot of big blues and all the small ones youd want to catch. Its a pain to get anchored in this area and you need to use 5 oz of weight to hold bait down but its worth the trouble. Another good spot is just downriver from the mouth of Knoxboro Creek. This bend is the deepest area of the Savannah River that i know of, (30-40 ft) standing timber and a lot of fish.
    Bait of choice is cut bream and heads to keep the small fish off......my wife and grandkids wear them out on pinks and shrimp !!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  9. Pro kc

Pro kc New Member

State:
    Barnwell, South Carolina
    Thanx fox! I got a map of the river and the depths in it. Ill look for the spots you talking about anive them a try. What size sinkers do you usally use?

10. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    I would like to fish the Savannah river near North Augusta/Power plant locations.... I think I will be heading that way November 20/21 that is next Friday... I wanted to know if anyone is familiar with this area and know where the boat landings are and would like to join me on a cat/striper trip..... Just pm me please!!! Thanks in advance...