Savannah River

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Foxhound, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Any of you guys ever fish the lower Savannah River (tidal affected) ? A few years ago I found several areas along the river that are about 30 foot deep that should hold some really big cats. Problem is...the current really rips there. Any advice on how to tackle this would be appreciated. Ive fished and caught some nice ones in creeks feeding the river in this area but have always stayed away from the main run due to the hard current.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've never fished the savannah, but it is a lot like the Santee near me. Falling tides generally produce better for me than rising. Check out those holes with a depth finder. If you mark large fish on the bottom, try anchoring upstream far enough to cast to the head of the holes, using a fishfinder rig with a large 6 or 8 oz no-roll or pyramid sinker, mono leader from 12-24" long with a circle hook and live or fresh cut bait. If you want to, add a 2-1/2" float on the leader about 6" above the hook, it will help keep your bait off the bottom, but in strong current I usually don't use the float.
    Fish the head of those holes for 15-30 minutes, if no bite, raise the rod to pick up the rig from the bottom, and let the current carry it downstream as you let out a little line. Keep doing this until you cover the entire area.

3. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Tommy has covered it for you and that is the best way to do it.

4. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks Tommy........gonna try em tommorow. Will let you know what happens. Gonna be fishing Marion last weekend this month if your not busy.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for the invite, Foxhound, but I'm probably going to be busy starting about that time, working nights M-F at the striped bass hatchery, so I won't get out much unless it's for an hour or two immediately after getting off work at 8AM. I kinda talked myself into that job, not realizing that it would be at the time I love to catfish the most. :crying:

6. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Ken

Where are you fishing on the Savannah river at? I have been looking for some places to fish. I would like to head out to Hardeeville at the boatramp out there but just havent had time.

chris

7. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Chris, I do quite a bit of fishing on the river there around Hardeeville. There are four lakes just up river from there that are loaded with fish and several creeks downriver that empty out into the main river that are good. The area downriver dont see a lot of pressure due to being heavily tidal affected. There are a lot of deep areas downriver of I95 that are overlooked especially just inside some of those feeder creeks that have consistently produced quality catfish for me over the years. Plan on experimenting with some of the deeper runs out in the main river tommorow with some heavier gear.

8. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    I am fron Augusta and the State Record Blue came from the Savannah River below the dam on Lake Thurmond years ago. It was caught by Ralph Barbee and is still the current record. The river produces some really nice fish around that area of the river. I was stationed at Ft. Stewart in 1996-1998 and we fished the Savannah alot and did really good. As you stated the current is strong but there are some really nice structures to fish near past the I95 bridge. The Altamaha River is a great place to fish especially if you are looking for Flatties. Good luck and send a report when you get back.

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The Cooper River also has deep holes and one heck of a current when the tide starts ebbing good. It's flat out not possible to keep a bait on the bottom of the holes when the current is running hard. Even if you get oit down therem a clump of weeds floats along and messes everything up. If you look around, you should be able to find some areas you can fish at different tides. I have some spots I like to fish around slack tide, some I like to fish on the flood, etc. Don't forget to try the flat or shelf right next to the hole.

10. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Well guys......not much to report here. Spent all day fishing Sat. and caught a good mess of good eating size cats. Had my grandson with me again and he wasnt much on that fishing in the big river in swift current. After about 45 min. of pouting and complaining we went back up Union Creek and he went back to fishing for smaller ones. BUT....I was able to get my rigs on bottom in the swift water and will be back as soon as possible. Took 8 ounces weight to hold a fist size chunk of mullet down but I know it will be worth the wait.

11. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Does anybody know if its safe to run the river from Clark hill dam to Stevens Creek and is there ever any blues or flatheads in there well I know theyre in there but is it a good population of em.I called Ralph Barbee about that 62lb Ga state record and he said he caught it in the lake in 90 plus right near the dam.I thought it come out of the river to but he said the lake.

12. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    any of you ever fish for stripers or shad below the clark hill dam? here they are getting in there good now

13. SloWater

SloWater New Member

State:
    TN
    Chris, I am not sure about the size of the population there. I know they are there. Several years ago I thought that was the place for me. It has been years now and I have a new boat that I am starting to go back there with. There are some nice boat ramps on the SC side but one of them has had some trouble in the past.
    I will post notes as I get back into that area.
    Gordon Baker

14. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for the info slowater I dont think its very popular for catfish in that area.Sometimes that can be a good thing.