Savannah River...time for some 'eaters'

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by Fivebraids, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Denise and I decided to take a trip to the Savannah River, instead of our usual haunt, the Altamaha River, for two reasons...

First, we're getting to where we can't deal with the 'aroma' of the Altamaha south of Jessup near the plant. :0a4: We both quit smoking a few months back, and our sense of smell is returning. That's a good thing, but not so much when it comes to fishing the Altamaha. We're probably gonna stay away from there for a while...at least until it cools off, since that seems to help to lessen the 'aroma'. :cross:

And second, and more importantly, we decided we wanted to catch some 'eaters' for the grease! :0a18: We've had bad luck with the taste of the plant being in fish we've tried eating from the Altamaha, but never from the Savannah, so that's where we decided to go.

We put in at Burton's Ferry around 4pm Saturday afternoon. The day started out really well, since there were far fewer pleasure boaters there, than we've encountered when we put in at Ebenezers.

Well fewer, with the exception of that one bonehead coming towards us around a blind curve at WOT towing someone on a raft/float! :0a5: Luckily, the curve was wide enough, and deep enough that we were able to slide over enough to avoid taking out the boat, or fool on the raft!

We decided to use the remaining daylight to head north towards Augusta. We marked a few potential spots on the way up, and decided about 20 miles up that we were far enough. We picked a nice deep hole on the outside of a tight bend in the river, dropped anchor, lowered the bimini, baited hooks and set in to fish.

It wasn't long before Denise had the first few little channels in the live well. She likes them smaller, since she simply cleans them and fries them whole. She says the meat's much sweeter that way. I prefer larger ones so there's room for her to fillet them...(nothing like chokin on bones to ruin a great meal!:0a13:)

Shortly after dark, Denise had one of hers rods start to twitch, then her clicker started screaming! She pulled the rod outta the holder, got the hook set, and started horsing in what turned out to be about a 15-20 pound blue cat! She was too excited to realize she wasn't going to be able to just lift this mini-monster into the boat without a net. She found out the hard way when her line broke as soon as that blue realized it wasn't in the water anymore!

Needless to say, when Denise calmed down, we took a minute to get the landing net out of the back storage area, before we went back to fishing.

We weren't able to get into any good sized channels, but we didn't have too much trouble finding pretty nice blues. Here's a shot Denise took of one that I brought in shortly after sunup:

P1020959.jpg

Certainly no TN River, or Santee monster blues, but they were fun to catch, and tonight we'll find out how good they are to eat. And now that we know there are bigger blues in the Savannah, it's time to start learning ways to better target them!

All in all, we did pretty good, and met our goal of having plenty of fish to eat:

P1020963.jpg
    P1020966.jpg

We never even thought to take out the scale to weigh any of them. But I'm thinking the larger three blues were probably somewhere around 4-5 pounds each. (maybe a bit more...?)

Oh yeah, continuing the trend from the last year, we wound up towing in another stranded boater!

At the ramp, as I was pulling away from shore getting ready to make a run towards the trailer, these three guys came running towards shore hollering at me to stop. Not sure what they were hollering, I slowed down and returned to shore. Turns out a bunch of their buddies were stranded down river a few miles in an old 19' Bayliner bow rider.

About two hours later, their dead boat was loaded on their trailer!

Interesting tidbit...seems these stranded boaters called 911 before calling their buddies. 911 in turn called DNR who dispatched a boat. We ran into this officer about halfway back upriver to the ramp. I was glad to see him, since he had a 200hp motor with a large poling deck sorta thing over it on his boat. Great, I'm thinking...we can make a swap and he can tow this big fiberglass thing much easier than we can!

Not so...he very quickly informed us that DNR does NOT tow boats. He'd be happy to help the stranded boaters to the nearest shore where they could tie off their boat, then he'd give them all a ride back to the ramp. It would then be up to them to figure out how to get their dead boat rescued!

That didn't sound like a very neighborly way to treat fellow boaters, so we continued towing them the few remaining miles upriver! :0a22:

Thanks...
    - Marty n Denise -

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    good post marty, nice of you to stick it out with the stranded boaters, some folks would have kept going. good to see there are those out there that will lend a hand. i was stuck in the middle of the lake once out of gas and ended up shooting all my flares when someone finally realized it wasnt fireworks.

3. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    nice fish m&d hope they taste good ....and thanks for helping the fellow boaters......:0a17:

4. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Excellent report Marty and I'm glad that you and Denise caught a bunch of eaters. Mission accomplished and it sounds like you had a great trip overall. Thanks for the pictures!

5. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks for the report and pics Marty!

6. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Thanks for posting your story. And I am glad to hear that you helped out some fellow boaters.
    I have been stranded a couple times myself, once when a head gasket blew and once when a gear box stripped out. I carry a tow rope in my boat to tow with. Anything can happen. The next time you go out it might be you that needs the tow.

7. fearless58

fearless58 New Member

State:
    ga
    nice catch . i have been wanting to fish the sav. river . what kinda bait were you useing? i live in hinesville let me know when you go again i wouldnt mind following. thanks for the report

8. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Hey Mike,

Welcome to the BOC!

Well, the bait that was working last weekend was shrimp and rooster livers. We plan to head back out this weekend, and we'll be trying live (and fresh cut) bream, along with shrimp and rooster livers.

If you wanna head out with us, we'll be heading out mid-day Saturday for an all-nighter. Let us know...

- Marty -

9. fearless58

fearless58 New Member

State:
    ga
    would love to go but will be working till late sat afternoon. where abouts is burtons ferry landing ? i have been up to tusking or somthing like that up by clyo. hope you have good luck. and becarefull holiday weekend.

10. SHE-CAT

SHE-CAT New Member

State:
    Dallas, Georgia
    Great job Marty! Sounds like fun.

11. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Burtons Ferry is located where 301 crosses over into South Carolina. It's north of Clyo, just east of Sylvania. I'm not sure what landing you're referring to that's near Clyo. We often put in at Ebenezers Landing, which is not far from Springfield, just north of Rincon, and south of Clyo.

We've been liking Burton's Ferry more lately though, since there are WAY less pleasure boaters that far up the river. Not sure why, but that's the way it is.

As for saturday, you didn't miss anything, since it was a full moon and the only thing we put in the boat was just over a dozen baitfish! :eek:oooh:

- Marty -