Savannah River Sinkers?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Pro kc, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Pro kc

Pro kc New Member

State:
    Barnwell, South Carolina
    I been fishin the savannah river with 8oz sinkers and the current still moves them, and i dont want that caus it gets me hung up in junk. I bought sum 12oz this time, hopefully they will stay put better in the main river. I would like some comments on sinker rigs and styles thats works real well for catfishin this river.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Hi, Kevin. I have trouble at times with high current, and getting sinkers to hold. There are some styles that will hold pretty good, and if you go heavy enough, that will work; I just don't like anything over 8 ounces for manageability reasons. Instead, I just try to allow for the current moving the bait. It narrows down the area I'm fishing a little, but I still catch plenty.
    The way I (and a lot of others, certainly) fish is to anchor upstream of my target spot and put several rods with varying lengths of line: a couple long, two at medium distance, and two short. I usually try to cast one or two out towards the river channel, knowing, of course that they will eventually end up in line with the rod tip. This does help to disperse the bait scent a little more, and often results in a fish hanging on the edge of the current break along the channel drop off.
    Planer boards can help get your bait off to one side or the other, but in heavy current, the heavy weight to keep your bait down may interfere with the function of the planer.

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Like Tommy said, it's a lot harder to keep baits and sinkers in place across the current, because the current drags on all that line. If you can cast straight down current that will help and the baits stay there, but if you are fishing off the bank, then that's pretty much impossible. Try using pyramid or storm sinkers, they will hold better better than egg, no roll, or bank sinkers of the same weight.

4. Pro kc

Pro kc New Member

State:
    Barnwell, South Carolina
    Ok I might need to go get me some of those sinkers then.

5. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    Maybe you need to get some 8oz flat sinkers they stay in one place most of the time,:smile2: best ones i have found yet.:cool2::wink:

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i use an eight ounce sinker i call a claw.it has 3 wires coming out the end of it and by bending them in to the shape of an anchor they will hang up and hold.when a fish bites the fish will pull the wire strait and fights on.