Savannah river In Georgia

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by fearless58, Jun 3, 2009.

1. fearless58

fearless58 New Member

State:
    ga
    put in at holuhan caught bait shad also had frozen shrimp. fished main river back river and middle river only caught 2 little blues.that was some tough fishing.not sure if we were doing somethig wrong or the fish just wernt biting.think i ll just bite the bullet and make the two hour drive to santee.

2. smackover

smackover New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Would think you would do better fishing above I-95.

River sure is pretty up that way

Regards

Smackover

3. red1691

red1691 New Member

State:
    Meldrim, Ga.
    Welcome to the BOC Mike, I whould have to agree with Glenn, The Main, Middle, and Back river move with the Tide to much I think, but a short run up the River to Train trucell or I-95 I don't think the tide moves much up river! Just my 2 cents!

4. fearless58

fearless58 New Member

State:
    ga
    nice grill rickey. the tide runs pretty good for a long way up past i95. ihave bass fished the sav extensivly.i was trying it out for catfish. they are not as easy to catch as bass. now the altamaha is down i will try my luck there.by the way i have a grill just like that [lang 60]it does a great job on catfish.

5. smackover

smackover New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Since I have retired I get to spend a few hours at the Houlihan as an unofficial fishing observer......FWIW

Ocassionaly hear some good catfish tales from folks fishing between
    I-95 and Purrysburg (Millstone or whatever that Sc landing is called)

I have wondered about fishing limb lines up that far.....the river is
    pretty and the water looks so good...

Has anyone done that ? How about u Foxhound ?

Regards

Smackover

6. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    That area around I95 is loaded with blues and channels.........I used to set limb lines all up and down that area especially between I95 bridge and the mouth of Abercorn creek. Its deep and holds some really nice 20 lb plus fish. Also the area from Knoxboro creek downriver for about 1/2 mile is the deepest stretch of the Savannah River. My favorite fishing area around there is Union Creek which is where back river and middle river join back into the Savannah River just downriver from the railroad crossing and I95. You can load the boat with smaller blues under 10 lbs and channels where any of those feeder creeks run into Union Creek using shrimp or worms. If you set lines in the main river the current runs pretty good but 4 or 5 ozs always worked well for me. Abercorn creek is also a good creek to anchor in on almost any bend and catch catfish. If you fish Back River try the mouth of the first creek to the left after you come out of Rifle Cut....Ive done good there also on outgoing tide.

7. fearless58

fearless58 New Member

State:
    ga
    thanks that some good info.i reckon i dont know how to catch a catfish, i have been on the altamaha 4 times this week and nothing over 2#. but i will keep trying