Savannah River Flathead removal?

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by peewee williams, Jan 24, 2006.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I talked to Ga.DNR at Richmond Hill 1-23 06.Recomended that ALL legaly caught Flatheads be removed from the Savannah river.I don;t know enough about it to judge.Any opinions out there?peewee-williams

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Alfred,

I am not up to speed on this one either. But based on the freshwater fishing demographics in this area, the loss of Panfish to the Flathead catfish, is a favorable food conversion for those that target (Harvest) flathead catfish.

I am sure they have some target study reflecting otherwise.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    South Carolina doesn't exactly advocate the complete removal of flatheads, but in certain rivers, they allow the use of live bream, etc for trotline or setlines, in order to target flatheads. The flats have allegedly decimated panfish populations in some of the rivers, and naturally those fishermen want something done. I know that even in the Santee river, panfish don't seem to be as plentiful as they once were, but I'm not qualified to say why. The Santee is not one of the rivers where live bait can be used on trotlines, though. Most of the fish I see caught here are blues and channels, but the flats may not be targeted as much by most fishermen.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    And they always will, In My Oppinion!

Since the majority of fishermen in that area are "bait" fishermen anyway it only stands to reason that they would want to save their bait from a preditor such as the mighty Flathead. After all if they started tageting these fish they would have to buy better equipment and change their fish styles tremendously.
    So in short we catfishermen don't stand a chance agaist this until we can all get together and force them to recognize catfish as a gamefish.

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    As the Savannah river is the state line,both states are usealy involved in any policy.Flatheads are a new fish to me.I am doing my best to learn about them.I have a very had time learning or doing new things now.Doctors and theraphy teachers have not given me much hope,as it is believed it is part of my illness.Old things,I do O.K.New things,I get lost.No hope to get better.Most of the instructions,and the help people try to give me on the BOC,just confuses me.peewee-williams

6. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Don't worry Pee Wee, I hope you catch several nice flatheads this year. You guys down there are starting to get some quality flatheads from what I hear. Heck, You never know, I may even have to come down there and give them a try in the Altamaha.

7. diertae

diertae New Member

State:
    georgia
    Gentlemen, I am new to this area as far a catfishing goes. Currently i live in southside, savannah and have been fishing on fort stewart and a few other places with minimal success. I am stuck on the bank for the time being and am having problems finding good, cat holes. I am also using the same baits and techniques that worked for me in North Carolina. I am in serious need of some advice on the Ogeechee, Canoochee, and Savannah rivers. I havent caught a large cat in so long im starting to go through withdrawals, its getting so bad i went bass fishing the other day:crying:

8. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Dave,
    You live in a good area for some great catfishing. I live just outside of Savannah in Effingham County and fish the Savannah River alot. This is the time of year the blues and channels really start to pick up. The areas of the river i fish the most are tidal affected but very productive. Let me know if I can help.:)

9. diertae

diertae New Member

State:
    georgia
    Well i finally am about to get a jonboat so i wont be shore bound anymore. i am looking to fish either the savannah, or ogeechee rivers. any good ideas for a nice blue or two? such as where, what to use, and how to fish it? yep pretty much hold my hand until i catch one:rolleyes:. any help would be great