Savannah, GA: Camping & Fishing.

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by goshawk, Jul 6, 2009.

1. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Does anyone have any recomendation for camping and fishing anywhere in the Savannah Georgia Area?

2. fearless58

fearless58 New Member

State:
    ga
    plenty of sand bars on the altamaha and sav rivers to camp on make sure you are abouve tidale water. good fishing in either river. lots of state parks around but i dont know much about them santee is only 2 hours away with lots and lots of camping and fishing. its my favorite place. good luck and welcome to the boc

3. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Rivers end campground on Tybee Island:wink:

4. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Pat,
    I will be heading down to skidaway island to camp in two weeks I will let you know how it is, if you havent headed that way by then...
    It will be my first trip camping down there,

As for fishing,,, I used to live down there and the fishing is great , try bottom fishing like you do for cats between little tybee island and tybee island on a out going tide and hold on "cut mullet"...Also the bridge that goes out to the fort is a good place to night fish on a hi tide...:wink:
    If you have a boat Wassaw inlet on a outgoing tide "from hi tide" get a good chum slick going and use heavy gear with a steel leader "100 Lb" big circle hook, and float a whole mullet or big cut pieces out in the chum line,
    live shrimp below a poping cork, in the marshes on the hi tide for reds and specs...:cool2: "I Miss fishing salt water"
    Go to "Miss Judys Charter" for a current fishing report, she is the best guide down there...MHO... Do a google search...
    Puddle
    oh and one other thing, if you like seafood, make sure you find :"Pearls" its in the back of a nighborhood hard to find, but the food is great,,, Trying to find it is half the fun...:roll_eyes:

5. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I see a place on the Altamaha River, it states camping on the Heritage Camp ground on the near by bluff.

Has anyone camped there? Cost, is it crowded etc.

Can you just sleep on the bank next to your pole?

Pa t

6. smackover

smackover New Member

State:
    Georgia
    There used to be a store at the landing....bet the Chamber of Commerce would get you a phone number...

Last time I was there it looked like camping was up on the hill above the store. There is a place up the river called Altamaha Park that has camping too. Catfish Com had a rally there and several attended so maybe someone will update you on that.

Although this is 80 miles from Savannah

As for Savannah there is skidaway island and Ft. Mcallister both state parks
    nearer to town.

Regards

Smackover

7. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I knew the distance to Savannah was not close...didn't realize 80 miles. Of course, I was thinking Flathead catfish, the fellow going with me was thinking Sea bass or something.

Guess that will teach him to have me look for the camping spot next time when he realizes how far from Savannah we are :smile2:

8. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Pat we have had some gatheringsat the Altamaha park got a nice campground and dock and they are real nice people have not had much luck fishing there but others have if you check on line there are several places listed for camping

9. red1691

red1691 New Member

State:
    Meldrim, Ga.
    You can buy a fishing permit for Fort Stewart, they have many landings one can fish and camp out over night on the Ogeechee River and many on the Canoochee River and many ponds too!! you can check out www.stewart.army.mil/dpw/wildlife/default.htm that is off there map I use for hunting! You just have to play by there rules......