Savage 200 in .223/.243

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by CatfishHateMe, Nov 11, 2008.

1. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    what does everyone think about the Savage/Stevens model 200 bolt action guns in .223/.243 for coyote? ive heard that the .243 is a good round for coyote with just that much for knock down power and range than the .223 but the .223 is a cheaper round. im almost dead set on these models of Savage/Stevens rifles. the rifle just fits me right and feels great holding it. Anyone have any feedback on these guns or even just the rounds?

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Those are both great rounds for yotes man. The thing I like about the 243 cal. is it has sufficient knock down for deer size animals. If you are only planning on hunting yotes and varmints with the rifle go for the 223 cal. Ammo is much cheaper. Hope this helps

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm lookin at buyin a 223 myself for varmints. I like the price of shells and they are accurate with adequate punch.

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ive had a Savage/Stevens .20 gage for 33 years and its still a great gun. I dont think you will go wrong with that rifle. Im picking up a .270 tomorrow but shots are longer out west here in Nevada. I may pick up a .223 next year just to have a cheaper alternative for practice. Hope this helps.

5. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    The .223 is an excellent round. The only draw back to it is if you fire several rounds, the barrel heats up and it is not quite as accurate... If you get it sighted in well, you shouldn't have any problem with it. I have deer hunted with a .223 and have carried it on duty as well.... It's my go to gun for dogs and coyotes.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jay,I can't say anything about the models,But I shoot both rounds,243 is my deer gun,I load 100 gr speer BT/SP there are varmint bullets available ,I just dont load anything but 100gr in mine. The 223 is my baby for varmints,I have developed a load using speer 52 gr HP bullets and H 4895 powder that is awsome,I have taken coyotes from 30 ft to 300 yds with this load and it works well ,leaves a 22 cal entrance hole and NO exit. I skin all my coyotes so fur damage is very important to me.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Bought the .243 for the wife. Takes down deer with no problem. Got the youth stock for her. They will also give you the regular stock for free if you request it. At least they ddi. Sure it would be good for yotes also.

8. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I'm with Richard, 243 for deer and the 223 for everything else. It works for me.

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have a Ruger Mini-14 which is 223 cal. and love it. Figuring on doing some coyote hunting this winter myself as they are getting to be over populated in my area. Hope we get some snow to make them easier to spot.

10. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Both great choices. Depends on how big you want the hole.

11. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I'm not sure on those particular models, but, my experience has been with any Savage I've had in the past 20 years , is that they ae an extremely accurate rifle out of the box, but, the triggers lack in a quality pull. However a good gunsmith can remedy that some.
    Maybe they've addressed that, hopefully..